Trump, DA’s Office Make Their Closing Arguments To The Jury - TPM – Talking Points Memo

They certainly could, but the defense claiming they had a witness with exculpatory evidence that they failed to call to the stand is so dumb an argument, the prosecutors may not even bother. Instead, I hope they just focus on the core narrative they built with the evidence and witnesses, rather than trying to pre-buttal whatever dumb arguments Team Trump comes up with.

16 Likes

E. Jean Carroll’s lawyer responds to Trump Memorial Day post (cnbc.com)

• Donald Trump again denied rape and defamation claims against him by writer E. Jean Carroll, nabbing the attention of her lawyer with his Memorial Day post on Truth Social.
  • Roberta Kaplan responded to the post stating, “We have said several times since the last jury verdict in January that all options were on the table. And that remains true today – all options are on the table.”
  • Kaplan has already suggested that a third defamation lawsuit could be in store after comments Trump made in a CNBC interview in March.
27 Likes

It’s a fair point, but jurors have a lot to think about, so I’d argue that it’s the prosecutors’ job to make sure the jury focuses on that if the defense brings it up.

ETA: Oops. I just remembered the prosecutors go first, so they’ll need to decide whether to bring up Weisselberg’s NDA or not. I don’t think it would hurt to bring it up and undermine any attempt by the defense to make their claim, but lawyers here may feel differently.

3 Likes

Trump Just Sold His $10M Jet to One of His Megadonors, Mehrdad Moayedi (archive.ph)
After nearly half a billion dollars in legal judgments against him this year, Donald Trump’s company opted to offload one of his private jets this month, public filings show. And the buyer is a Republican megadonor who poured nearly $250,000 into a political committee tied to Trump’s 2020 campaign.

The plane, a 1997 Cessna jet, is worth in the range of $10 million, according to evoJets, though terms of the transaction couldn’t be confirmed.

Federal Aviation Administration records show that on May 13, the aircraft’s registration changed from the Trump Organization’s DT Air Corp to a Texas entity called MM Fleet Holdings LLC. State records tie that company to Mehrdad Moayedi, an Iranian-American construction and development tycoon who lives near Dallas and runs Centurion American Custom Homes.

17 Likes

I didn’t catch something the first time I read the post - DT referred to Anderson Cooper as “Alison Cooper.”

Good luck, Log Cabin Republicans!

ETA: Ha!

“Where are all the Republican elected officials sharing Trump’s long Memorial Day post?” added Ron Filipkowski, editor-in-chief of the progressive news site MeidasTouch and a frequent critic of Trump. “Aren’t you proud of the leader of your party and what he had to say? Why won’t you post it to your supporters and constituents?”

29 Likes

Well, I thought it might be several more million, but I nitpick.

1 Like

And I bet he ‘bought it’ for $100+ million. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

When, oh when, Dear Lord, will I experience my first Trump-free news day??

26 Likes

If he figures Trump has a good chance of winning on appeal due to bias from the judge and a weak case from the the prosecution, I can see where he would rather do it himself than be overturned on appeal.

I’m sure he’d rather eat a shit sandwich than to declare a mistrial because his dislike for Trump was pretty obvious throughout the trial. The judge went way, way overboard in his reaction to Costello. I suspect they intended to bait the judge into that kind of overreaction using Costello. If so, it worked like a charm.

46 Likes

Trump promised donors he’d deport pro-Palestinian protesters: Report - Washington Examiner
Former President Donald Trump privately promised donors he would adopt a hard-line stance against pro-Palestinian student demonstrators after encouraging Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to end his war against Hamas.

“One thing I do is, any student that protests, I throw them out of the country. You know, there are a lot of foreign students. As soon as they hear that, they’re going to behave,” Trump said during a May 14 roundtable event in New York, according to the Washington Post .

12 Likes

I hope the defense is dumb enough to ask the jury "Where is Allen Weisselberg?

So the Prosecutors can say “He’s at Rikers for 4 months”

BOOM!

21 Likes

Ah, the pre-eminate constitutional scholar and legal rights advocate has spoken.

22 Likes

Manhattan is 85% Democrat.

For the defense to have slipped in a MAGAt, is beyond impossible.

AND, that one juror would have to withstand the other 11 jurors climbing up their ass for hours. We all know how MAGAts fold quickly under pressure…

23 Likes

Ho Hum nothing to see here .I guess you could say they died for Oil company profits and greed
Eastern states rocked by devastating Memorial Day weekend weather as Texas braces for more storms (msn.com)
Communities from Texas to New York were picking up the pieces on Tuesday after a devastating holiday weekend brought tornadoes, **storms and heavy rain that killed at least 24 people and left hundreds of thousands without power.

And this period of severe weather is still not over for Texas, which could see strong and damaging storms through Tuesday.

14 Likes

Not (really) picking on you individually, but this statement is purest example I’ve seen in a while regarding the extent to which Trump has completely reset expectations as to how defense attorneys and defendants are expected to behave in court. There was nothing vaguely way, way overboard about his reaction to a criminal defense attorney throwing a tantrum in the witness box.

The case is the case. NY is not overturning the verdict based on judicial bias; despite his exasperation, he’s given the defense far more latitude and tolerance than deserved.

46 Likes

Interesting take on that.

hahahahaha

Especially because it worked for Merchan. Costello came back with his tail between his legs, which is where it should be.

25 Likes

Trump mocked for his ‘ignorance’ as he rails against standard criminal trial process (msn.com)
On the eve of closing arguments in his hush money trial in Manhattan, the former president took to Truth Social to complain that the prosecution is being a “big advantage” in the case.

“WHY IS THE CORRUPT GOVERNMENT ALLOWED TO MAKE THE FINAL ARGUMENT IN THE CASE AGAINST ME? WHY CAN’T THE DEFENSE GO LAST? BIG ADVANTAGE, VERY UNFAIR. WITCH HUNT! DJT,” he wrote.

What Mr Trump fails to understand is that this is the typical procedure for almost every criminal trial.

Dr Kristy Parker, a former federal civil rights prosecutor, also accused the former president of legal “ignorance.”

“I wonder if there’s ever been a person who occupied the presidency who was this ignorant about basic principles of our criminal justice system,” she wrote. “Actually, I don’t wonder.”

39 Likes

Who writes his screeds, we know it’s not him because not one misspelt word.

5 Likes

26 Likes