Trump Ambassador Nom Doesn’t Seem To Think Trump’s Ukraine Call Was ‘Perfect’ | Talking Points Memo

John Sullivan, deputy secretary of State and President Donald Trump’s nominee for ambassador to Russia, apparently doesn’t agree that it’s okay for a president to try to push foreign countries to investigate his political rivals – something Trump did during a call with the Ukrainian president in July.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1259033
1 Like

Nomination pulled in 3, 2, 1…

6 Likes

4 Likes

“Our values.” Whose values would those be, Mr. Sullivan? Because they sure as hell aren’t the values of the orange wanna-be dictator who nominated you. But thanks for trying.

5 Likes

Upon hearing this news, Trump remarked “Get the hook!”

6 Likes

Yeah I understand he was probably trying to be a loyal R and not trash the Prez…but if I was on that committee I would follow my messaging advice for all honest people…“is persecuting or asking foreign adversaries to persecute AN AMERICAN CITIZEN within your purview” (not a political adversary)…and I would have lambasted Sullivan for saying something so vague. “Sir, the answer we were looking for here is HELL NO, that is a breach of law, a High Crime, a betrayal of the Oath Of Office, and would be grounds for immediate dismissal and prosecution for anyone from dog-catcher to The President”

4 Likes

Mr Sullivan, meet my associates. Mr Rock, and Mr Hard Place. Now, Mr Sullivan, please feel free to express your views on elected officials asking foreign governments to generate dirt on American citizens. Feel free, you can say whatever you like.

6 Likes

I think it might also be standard diplomatic lingo.
Diplomats have a tendency to be understated in their statements as part of the job—it’s about reading between the lines.

3 Likes

When Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman went in to testify before the House impeachment inquiry on Tuesday, Donald Trump tweeted a complaint about testimony from people he “never heard of.” It may seem strange that Trump didn’t even recognize the National Security Council’s Ukraine expert, who had taken part in multiple White House meetings and listened in on Trump’s calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. However, it turns out there’s a good reason that Vindman didn’t seem all that familiar to Trump: One of Rep. Devin Nunes’ pals had been pretending to be the White House Ukraine expert. And officials kept Vindman away from Trump because the presence of the actual expert might “confuse him.”

“At the last second,” Vindman said, he was told to stay away from the meeting. The reason he was steered away was that Nunes staffer Kashyap Patel had already “misrepresented” himself to Trump as the NSC’s expert on Ukraine, even though he had no background, no expertise, and no experience to make that claim. But Patel’s pretend position, which he had used to dip into secure intelligence information, had already made him a Trump favorite. So the genuine Ukraine expert was shut out in favor of the fraud.

11 Likes

or I will Tweet him into oblivion

1 Like

[BUZZER] Sorry, JJ, the correct answer was “No.”

3 Likes

He doesn’t “think” that would be in accord with our values? Could he be any more wishy-washy than that? There’s nothing to “think” about. At least, there shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

“Soliciting investigations into a domestic political opponent…I don’t think that would be in accord with our values,” Sullivan responded.

And he calls himself a diplomat!

5 Likes

Look again, that’s “Trump diplomat”

1 Like

oooooh, that should be grounds for disbarment and charges.
I read a version of that story too, but I did not realize he was dipping into classified or intel docs.

And could this be the first time EVER a prez and WH were so dysfunctional people could insinuate themselves into meetings and ‘positions’ that were barred to them? And nobody dared say anything because it might imbalance the very stable genius? My Gawd what a farce. Nunes’ well used “i’m Fukked” face might be permanent.

Do crimes by an aid, especially known crimes and possibly approved crimes, get a congresscritter to be charged? I don’t know if Nunes has had assignments and other priveleges revoked yet, but I would think Pelosi needs to look in her bag of tricks and find some especially nice ones for Nunes.

9 Likes

Depends on whether Chickenshits & Friends runs the clip. Maybe they will despite it being a -D senator posing the question.

4 Likes

It’s say this is un-freak’n-believable if it wasn’t inevitable given the greedy amorality of the players.

“Character is destiny” —Heraclitus of Ephesus

3 Likes

Saying “I don’t think that would be in accord with our values” is not the same as saying it’s an abuse of power that is categorically illegal.

Trump picked this guy for the same reason he picks everyone else: he thinks or hopes that this doofus will work to pervert the business of government to protect and enrich Donald Trump, and he’ll refuse to cooperate with the law.

1 Like

I agree in principle, but the fact that a Trump political appointee said anything critical at all in public is important. He’s supposedly a traditional conservative Republican. It might be sign of a crack in the wall.

2 Likes

Gee. you are almost there John.
come a step farther and join the other 300 million that knows he is guilty as hell.