Toyota Now Says It Will Stop Donating To GOPers Who Tried To Reverse Election | Talking Points Memo

Toyota on Thursday tried to claw back its defense of its donations to Republican lawmakers who voted to challenge the 2020 presidential election results. The company had initially leaned in on its decision amid public outrage over the move.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1380462

Toyota’s statement is pure BS, but I’ll take it.

17 Likes

In a statement issued Thursday, Toyota said that its PAC “equally supports Democrats and Republicans running for Congress” and offered up the observation that most of its donations this year went to lawmakers who voted to certify Joe Biden’s electoral victory on Jan. 6.

We understand that the PAC decision to support select Members of Congress who contested the results troubled some stakeholders,” Toyota said. “We are actively listening to our stakeholders and, at this time, we have decided to stop contributing to those Members of Congress who contested the certification of certain states in the 2020 election.”

1 )

2 )

3 Likes

“Toyota supports candidates based on their position on issues that are important to the auto industry and the company. We do not believe it is appropriate to judge members of Congress solely based on their votes on the electoral certification,” a Toyota spokesperson told Axios.

4 Likes

Whatever Toyota. I bought my first and only Toyota, a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, but now you are dead to me.

14 Likes

I can’t.

Just told someone this, but they thought the coast was clear.

They’ll likely think the same in November.

7 Likes

I had been considering a Rav4 Prime. No more. Toyota can’t claw back this lost sale.

9 Likes

Toyota - Let’s Gop.

9 Likes

Again Toyota pick a lane and use your fucking turn signal.

I can’t believe how tone deaf their spokesperson’s statement was. Who did they hire to come up with that shit?

23 Likes

Toyota Jan?

6 Likes

Shorter Toyota: At this time we have made all.l the contributions we had intended to for this round.

Not remotely good enough.

10 Likes

I’m not mad, because I’m old enough to know/understand that ‘money equals speech’.

It was them going back to the ‘look at these angels’ strategy that bothers me.

12 Likes

"We do not believe it is appropriate to judge ex-Marines solely based on their actions at the Texas School Book Depository.”

28 Likes

I hear you. I’ll take it because as Toyota figures how they can get around this bad press and get back to paying their insurrectionist candidates, they know TLP and other organizations will be watching. Now that this has happened, and Toyota has buckled, it’s going to be harder to justify going back to business as usual.

At least that’s my hope.

14 Likes

They’ll try to get it back to that.

4 Likes

McCarthy: “what about clock towers?”

Yes, i googled (cheated).

7 Likes

Smart CEOs would rather pay higher taxes than work for Donald Trump or Vladimir Putin.

That is whatever else is at stake for corporate giants, authoritarianism like in Russia, results in everyone and especially those at the highest end working for and being subject to the whims of the authoritarian. This means Democracy prevents CEOs from being dependent on their jobs and everything else to Donald Trump as Russian oligarchs are dependent on Vladimir Putin.

Smart CEOs understand this and so would rather pay higher taxes in a democracy than be dependent on the whims of an autocrat like Putin or an autocrat wannabe like Trump.

9 Likes

Once again, it appears that ONLY money talks when it comes to corporations. It looks like money is going to have to keep talking to Toyota, because they seem to have gotten only a small part of the message. I’ve never owned a Toyota car and, as things now stand, I probably never will.

11 Likes

Hey, what’s a little destabilizing sedition among friends?

6 Likes

Good to know Toyota will have some cash laying around that they can now give to our capital campaign for the amazing Japanese Garden we are wanting to build as soon as we get enough monies! Yes, my state has a Toyota Plant.

4 Likes