Today’s The Day: Schumer Moves Forward With Vote To End GOP Filibuster Of Voting Rights Legislation | Talking Points Memo

Yeah, I just saw the film. One of the scariest and most depressing movies I’ve ever seen, not so much for the specific scenario although it is one to be concerned about, as for the more general point that if and when the earth does face a mass extinction level situation, our dysfunctional political and economic systems will make it all but impossible to confront it properly.

And guess what, we ARE facing such a situation, in climate change, and failing miserably at it, because enough politicians benefit from not addressing it, not enough politicians benefit from addressing it, and the business community and economy isn’t set up to factor in such externalities in time to deal with them properly.

We’re set up for short-term gain and survival, not long-term, and the former makes the latter less likely. If we are to deal with it properly, the proper positive and negative incentives have to be put in place to incentivize politicians, businesses and the public to finally deal with it. And that’s just not happening.

8 Likes

Tester’s speech was good, then Murkowski got up and said we’re just not trying hard enough to find common ground. Disingenuous crap. McTurtle won’t let her find common ground and vote for it.

19 Likes

But does she drive a Metallic Mint Green 1964 Buick Skylark?

4 Likes

Her idea of common ground is the status quo. I mean, Alaska is a textbook case of raping the land and the native people on it, then throwing them some bones to shut them up while white Xtians like her make gazillions off it and destroy the planet in the process. Fuck common ground. Nothing ever good came of trying to find it with this sort of enemy. Not in 1776, not in 1861, not in 1938. Some adversaries cannot be negotiated with. They can only be defeated or destroyed.

8 Likes

And it doesn’t have positraction.

1 Like

Her very limited slip is showing and the differential between her and a Repub is miniscule.

8 Likes

Note to journos: When GOP defeats legislation created to preserve American's fundamental right to vote the story is not "Biden loses"--it is "America is in peril" or "GOP seeks white minority rule." It is part of a bigger story about the systematic GOP attack on our democracy.

— David Rothkopf (@djrothkopf) January 19, 2022
40 Likes

They’ve already written their headlines, starting with ‘Another Bad Day for Biden’.

ETA: And it’s not helped with this crap:
Biden Year One Approval Ratings Subpar, Extremely Polarized (gallup.com)

The long slide: Inside Biden’s declining popularity as he struggled with multiple crises - The Washington Post

Hell, this will just be one more damned thing that discredits the job that Biden is doing. He can’t control what the Senate does, but it’ll still be blamed on him by idiots.

16 Likes

John Thune declared “I am not a racist” as he dismissed Democrats’ claims that the GQP laws were targeting POC—thereby proving that he is indeed a racist.

22 Likes

Hell, if Sinemanchin somehow vote to can the filibuster, the lamestream media has the next set of articles on How the end of the filibuster is bad for Biden ready to go.

18 Likes

NEW: Sen. Amy Klobuchar is reading the Constitution to Republicans on the Senate floor right now to remind them that it specifically allows Congress to protect voting rights.

— No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen (@NoLieWithBTC) January 19, 2022
35 Likes

At the risk of repeating myself, how much of his ‘low poll/ratings’ is because the press simply will not let Biden win, even when he clearly does?

19 Likes

And again, the only part of the Constitution that matters is 2A. All the rest is optional.

7 Likes

Thune Claims Republicans Won’t Nuke The Filibuster If Democrats Don’t

HORSESHIT.

27 Likes

Good 6-10 points, easy. $3 trillion in bills last year would be records in any other administration in history, not a failure and doom and gloom because a couple other bills haven’t passed.

8 Likes

Biden will say all that and more in the Presser later today, but he still will get no credit for it.

9 Likes

Watch Sen. Tim Kaine lay out why the time to act on voting rights is NOW. pic.twitter.com/ABMzr4CtcN

— Senate Democrats (@SenateDems) January 19, 2022
11 Likes

Sinema participated by phone.

Yes, you can’t dye your hair while participating in-person at a caucus meeting.
Sinema does have her priorities.

5 Likes

Leader Schumer: "Even for those who feel that the filibuster is a good thing, and helps bring us together, I would ask this question: Isn't the protection of voting rights the most fundamental wellspring of this democracy more important?"

— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) January 19, 2022
26 Likes

Sinema: “Hmmm. Does this shade of nail polish go with my cream puffy jacket?”

Manchin: “Sheesh. Schumer didn’t even mention coal.”

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available