Tim Scott Condemns DeSantis’ New Black History Curriculum That Focuses On ‘Benefits’ Of Slavery

2024 presidential candidate Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) slammed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) — who is also running for the White House — on Thursday over his state’s new Black history curriculum requiring students to be instructed on the “benefits” of slavery.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1464553

Let me know when Scott realizes there is no silver lining in the Republican Party.

61 Likes

He couldn’t get nearly the level of perks, campaign money and exposure as a black democrat.

And I don’t even know if he would be saying this except that deathsantis is a competitor.

11 Likes

Gosh…that only took him a couple of weeks to come up with a ‘rebuttal’.

22 Likes

I’m tangentially fascinated that he used “humans” to refer specifically to men married to women. Not sure what that says about a man who’s already nuttier than a pecan tree, but it’s weird.

“…about mutilating humans and even raping their wives.”

16 Likes

He seems a bit awkward in his wording. I have heard “humans” used by humans that are not US Senators, but they have an excuse, they are common humans.

6 Likes

This guy has NO FUTURE in American politics. When his Senate term is up so is he.

He should have said this of his own volition the minute DeSantis came up with this shit rather than days later after his handlers advised him to.

26 Likes

I guess Tim thinks it’s okay to show his tiny backbone AFTER someone else speaks up. That’s true leadership Mr. Scott. True leadership.

11 Likes

I agree that Scott could have spoken up sooner. But he DID speak up. In today’s anti-woke GOP, that’s an act of courage.

11 Likes

Repubs In Disarray!!!

10 Likes

The entire DeSantis ‘Woke Cacophony’ in 52 seconds, brought to you by the Lincoln Project. Gird up your loins, Libtards.

DeSatan won’t rest until he has everyone on the left wanting to leave Florida in droves to make room for more creepy extremists like himself on the right.

17 Likes

I’m glad to see he “woke” up.

11 Likes

I like it. It has a beat, and you can dance to it.

15 Likes

Scott almost sounds ‘woke’ in the way it was meant by African Americans from the civil rights era on but his politics and party membership don’t sync with that at all so it seems more likely he’s just trying to further differentiate himself from the deplorable presidential hopeful field.

NB: Media types modestly interpret the ‘anti-woke’ crusade as essentially anti-liberal but in reich-wing circles it’s also rather clearly code for n*gger, particularly in the South; e.g., “Despite the best efforts of Republican spinmeisters…the partisan impact of racial attitudes in the South is stronger today than in the past.” (The Nation, November 13, 2012)

13 Likes

Well it appears even reading about any of these issues is being taken care of, too.

18 Likes

I don’t think the GOP quite understands how much they’ve triggered minority voters with their attempts to whitewash slavery and make it a national issue. You will see a big minority turnout and big margins for Biden/Harris in ‘24. Harris’ speech in Florida basically ended the DeSantis campaign for all intents and purposes and it has galvanized a lot of minority voters behind her.

32 Likes

Forget Tim Scott and forget DeSantis. What the hell is wrong with the voters and citizens of the state of Florida? Have they suddenly all gone deaf and mute? Has the decline in the educational system reached that point where people cannot look at facts and make data-based decisions? The Republican Party operates without any conscience, so they want people to believe that what they say is inevitable. To push back, the voters must step up.

So again I ask, What the hell is wrong with the citizens of Florida?*

*You can add a list of your personal favorite states here as well: see

12 Likes

Bravo!

2 Likes

Tim “Rapid Response” Scott Condemns DeSantis’ New Black History Curriculum That Focuses On ‘Benefits’ Of Slavery

FIFY.

9 Likes

Dems in dis array -> [‘Joe Biden’, ‘Chuck Schumer’, ‘Hakeem Jeffries’]
Repubs in dis array -> [‘Tim Scott’, ‘Byron Donalds’, ‘Ron DeSantis’]