Spencer Said He Acted To Preserve ‘Resiliency’ Of The Navy

Richard Spencer, the ousted Secretary of the Navy, said Monday that he was compelled to try to counteract President Donald Trump’s intervention in the case of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher to “preserve the resiliency of the naval institution.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1265156
1 Like

I’d like Spencer a lot better if he’d spoken out publicly before he got caught and pushed out.

9 Likes

He was speaking publicly.

He tried to pull off what would have been a very smooth move to preserve the aura of discipline and order-- let the investigation go ahead, but with a pre-determined outcome.

Frankly, not a bad try, considering the people we’re dealing with now.

9 Likes

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

2 Likes

Richard Spencer, the ousted Secretary of the Navy, said Monday that he was compelled to try to counteract President Donald Trump’s intervention in the case of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher to “preserve the resiliency of the naval institution.”

I would have preferred “I quit because the motherfucker fucks up everything he fucks with, including the military”.

6 Likes

And did he do that? Gallegar is still drawing a check and has his goofy pin. Did the rest of the civilian leadership of the navy ( for that matter the entire US Armed Forces ) take his lead and en mass tell Trump they’ll all walk of Gallegar does?

No. They did their career thing and shit on the Honor they demand of the uniforms below them. This guy’s an outlier and should act like one. No one had his back. He’s free now. He has nothing to lose.

6 Likes

I believe they call that “lowering the bar”. If you take a cause and effect look at what this man did: he didn’t achieve jack shit.

3 Likes

Clips of several late night shows. I like how Stephen turns Donald’s bed bug comment back on him!

4 Likes

He never took a proper rhetoric class on account of not attending one of the service academies.

5 Likes

I heard a report last night Trump wants to take the three pardoned war criminals on the campaign trail and trot them out before the crowds, I assume as living examples of his middle finger to doing things with any semblance of sanity and comportment with rules and traditions.

8 Likes

Trump understands that Vlad doesn’t need the American Navy to be resilient. It needs the American Navy to be a pushover. He is doing all he can to assure we sink into 2nd class status.

7 Likes

There’s too much that we don’t know about this. A lot of Spencer’s seeming moral high ground is ex post facto once he got the boot. And his apparent attempt to negotiate a quiet settlement with the White House would have predetermined the same outcome anyway. The only fact we do know is that Trump behaved, as always, like a swine.

As to the imbroglio between Spencer and Esper, that is a lot less clear.

9 Likes

Fair. Didn’t say he succeeded. He didn’t.

But if he had, nobody would have known, there would have been an “inconclusive” investigation, Gallagher would have retired with his trident, and the basic military justice system wouldn’t have taken a massive blow.

4 Likes

What I find truly offensive is Gallagher was received on Fox News with open arms, and proceeded to make an ass of himself. A man of integrity would have sought forgiveness and anonymity. Of course, Gallagher is a SEAL. They are warriors for the social media world.

7 Likes

Spencer’s trying to sound noble, but the truth is he tolerated the president’s corrupt actions until they hit a tad too close to home.

Sorry, not buying it. He’s trying to console himself so he can sleep at night.

4 Likes

He is assured of a featured speaker’s spot at the Republican Convention.

Whether the RNC wants it or not. Trump will order it so.

7 Likes

Gallagher actually IS an ass, so it’s just what comes naturally.

4 Likes

And the sad thing is these assholes will do it. They’ll shuck all that honor jive and do it.

1 Like

It would be genuinely shocking if Trump DIDN’T do it.

1 Like

Interruption of the normal military order and disruption of the confidence of the chain of command may well be the most alarming incident yet of the Trump era. With this we are many steps closer to the President being able to issue direct commands to the military and each commander deciding whether their loyalty lies with their superior officer or with the commander in chief.

5 Likes