Spain’s Hospitals Are At Their Breaking Point As COVID-19 Cases Mount | Talking Points Memo

MADRID (AP) — Spain overtook China on Monday in confirmed coronavirus infections as the pandemic stretched scores of Spanish hospitals to their breaking point. As confirmed virus deaths in New York surpassed 1,000, President Donald Trump extended stay-at-home recommendations for a month in an abrupt turnaround.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300419

Spain and Italy make up more than half the world’s death toll of over 34,800 people from the virus that has upended the lives of billions and devastated world economies. Their health systems have been crumbling over the weight of caring for so many desperately ill patients at once.

Something that the US is heading towards…US curve has similar trajectory as Spain and Italy.
3 months worth of shoulda coulda, exacerbated by Covidiot-In-Chief’s preoccupation with his number, profits, ratings and ME ME ME ME…we can each do our part: Save Lives = Stay Home!

Covidiot Trump at his being BeBest public service!

Addendum:

5 Likes

The U.S. now has more than 143,000 infections and 2,500 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University,

Just for comparison as of July 2018 there were 2440 casualties of the Afghan war, which as everyone knows has been going on since Oct. 7, 2001. That’s some kind of war time President we have here folks.

5 Likes

That’s whoretime President.

3 Likes

Our “curve” isn’t even remotely curving…its still pretty much a straight line trajectory.

And I almost hate to say this, but…

NYC got hit early. But once it starts to “flatten the curve”, I am deeply concerned that in typical NYC fashion, the media types will start acting like the worst is over.

It won’t be. This thing is going to keep hitting American cities in a cycle for quite some time. NYC media types are just very concerned because its happening to them. Once NYC starts to wane, their attention will quickly move on to other subjects.

5 Likes

Hey he anointed himself a wartime President and am judging him on that criteria. But you may judge him on any criteria that you want.

So here is my Trump musical selection based on his NPD.

2 Likes

My nominee…

The Crazy World of Donald Trump.

3 Likes

The drugs must have been really something in the 60s and 70s.

2 Likes

Based on his Wiki, I would second your thought.

Brown quickly earned a reputation for both his powerful operatic voice (which spanned four octaves) and his outlandish performances, including the use of a burning metal helmet, which led to occasional mishaps. During an early appearance at the Windsor Festival in 1967, Brown wore a colander on his head soaked in methanol. The fuel poured over his head by accident caught fire; two bystanders doused the flames by pouring beer on Brown’s head, preventing any serious injury. The flaming head then became an Arthur Brown signature. On occasion he also stripped naked while performing, most notably in Italy, where, after setting his hair on fire, he was arrested and deported.

3 Likes

well done, m

1 Like

Oh, they were—from the little I remember and the blackmail letters I used to get.

3 Likes

Trump claims to be a wartime president fighting an invisible enemy.

In reality, he’s an invisible president fighting a wartime enemy.

4 Likes

The curve of cases has started to bend the past three days or so. Hard to know how meaningful that is though, it’s clear a lot of places have so many that they’ve reduced testing and just assume everyone with pneumonia has it.

We, as a nation, aren’t there yet. For a number of reasons, and yes, the paucity of testing is part of the issue.

But it also has to do that we are starting to see new “hot spots” developing, while the earlier hot spots haven’t started subsiding yet. That leads me to believe that once that NYC, for example, finally does start to curve, that curve is going to be wiped out by surges in places like Miami, Atlanta, Boston, etc.

And that pattern is probably going to continue for quite some time. The very nature of how our country is geographically setup, combined with its size, is going to make it very difficult for us to see the sort of “curving” that exists in places like Italy now.

Add to that, that such a pattern, stretching out for months, will be an economic calamity which will force decision trees like “Do I starve/go homeless or do I risk catching the virus?”, which in turn will mean a breakdown in social distancing/self quarantining…adding additional pressures to keep the trajectory straight line.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available