Some GOPers Don’t Even Want To Weigh In On The Merits Of House’s Case | Talking Points Memo

Resolutions to Censure the President:

While resolutions censuring a Member of Congress are privileged in the respective chamber, resolutions that censure, condemn, disapprove of, or express a loss of confidence in an executive or judicial branch official are not privileged and do not enjoy a special parliamentary status. Non-Member censure resolutions express the formal opinion of the House or Senate. Thus, they are considered under the regular parliamentary mechanisms used to process “sense of” legislation. (Congressional Research Service Updated November 20, 2019)

It would never get out of committee, much less be put to a floor vote.

@leftcoaster @epicurus

1 Like

More like Profiles in Lily-Liveredness…

Every one of the raf*ckers who votes for acquittal should be required to go on record and say why they voted that way… even if all they can offer is “I wasn’t convinced there was a crime.”

Courage of your convictions, people…

3 Likes

Thank you and especially thank you for the spirit in which you said it.

I am more a person who has lived in the Third World and understand the difference between what people take for granted here and what people do not have there.

There has never been a country more capable of taking on and destroying a would-be dictator than the United States.

We (meaning us Americans, including yours truly) have simply not gotten around to–collectively–coming to the decision that we must remove Donald Trump…because, if that were the case, the PUBLIC SENTIMENT would be 70+%, instead of barely 50%.

And that is why the Senate GOPPERs like Tillis, Murkowski, Blunt, Alexander, Rubio and Ernst are talking smack today.

Not because their “rejection” of Schiff and his arguments…or the “merits” of his case…

They are doing it because 50% is not 70+%.

11 Likes

Excuse me while I go fetch a handkerchief to dry my tears…

2 Likes

Bill O’Reilly: “YES!!! – I mean…um…that’s terrible!”

5 Likes

And run towards donors.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope this cycle, but I am not as convinced as I am Gardener and McSally are gone.

Basically, I see Arizona, Colorado, Maine, North Carolina, Iowa, one of possibly both Georgia seats, Kentucky and South Carolina being in play. I wouldn’t call Montana safely republican, either, but much lower profile. Or Texas.

Only Alabama for us, and Jones might hold on to it (doubtful) depending on what happens during the republican primary.

If we had a stronger party in Kansas, I think that would be in play too. And, if McConnell agrees with my list, a retirement announcement in a few weeks wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

They covered for Trump, and he will get his acquittal. But its going to come at a steep price. They probably lose the Senate, lose more seats in the House, and more seats in state governments. Partially from the trial itself, but also because there is zero chance Trump even attempts to act contrite, and instead will brag and pump his chest about being acquitted nearly every day on the campaign trail.

10 Likes

There goes that fig leaf. Not accepting Manchin’s off ramp condemns anyone saying it’s bad but not really. I remember some senators saying the House should have asked for censure.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Can the weasel-ostrich hybrid have its head stuck up its backside?

3 Likes

Tell me what you think about any possible parallels between Ryan leaving the House because it was predicted there would be a blue wave in 2016 and the possibility Mitch might see something like that coming and wants to get ahead of it by resigning. Thoughts?

6 Likes

Pants pissing cowards gonna be pants pissing cowards.

1 Like

La Mar’s stance was also in direct contrast to his mentor’s, Howard Baker, stance. Baker was pursuing Nixon in full tilt mode, La Mar says meh.

1 Like

I like the idea of censuring Trump, knowing a conviction is utterly impossible.

If McConnell doesn’t allow a vote, it highlights just how in the tank Republicans in congress are for Trump -as many have already admitted what he did was wrong. The 75%+ of Americans who wanted witnesses won’t agree with this either.

If they vote and don’t censure, same thing. Censure is not removal, so if they can’t vote for that while admitting he did something wrong, that’s a problematic position to defend. Easily exploitable in the elections.

If they vote to censure, awesome! Trump runs for re-election with that scarlet letter pinned to his chest. And you know it’ll eat him alive should that happen. He also won’t campaign for Senators that voted against him.

12 Likes

Concur with this analysis, all points.

4 Likes

I fully expect him to simply set aside the election results if they go against him/McConnell/Graham, et al…

The Senate has pretty much rubber-stamped his rights to rule as a dictator, so why should he respect election outcomes?

2 Likes

Epic denialism.

1 Like

I think its more likely, to be honest.

McConnell is much older than Ryan was/is. So old, that he knows this will be his last campaign.(he is 77…he won’t run for re-election at 83). I can’t see him wanting to spend the next 6 years a the minority leader.

He can easily “retire” and arguably have more influence over the Senate and government than he does now, as a lobbyist/senior statesman. He has made his mark on the judiciary, which clearly been his parting goal for some time.

So yeah, it comes down to two things for IMO…if he feels it is very likely they lose the Senate…and/or he feels that he will face a very tough race that is in no way guaranteed, he’ll take the easy way out.

9 Likes

Only if it’s a service bird.

2 Likes

It’s refreshing to hear that we’re not doomed to have his leadership forever, and taking back the senate as well as hanging onto the House, a near certainty, would be a brand new day.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available