Some GOPers Don’t Even Want To Weigh In On The Merits Of House’s Case | Talking Points Memo

Does anyone know how many votes that would require? It’s possible a simple majority could pass.

2 Likes

Oh well Mz. Lindsey will never go for this, “How could we ever suggest any wrongdoing by our beloved dictator . . ., er, I mean our beloved ‘president?’”

2 Likes

Yes, only a simple majority, I believe.

4 Likes

I doubt McConnell will allow this to happen.

3 Likes

“because they have decided to clear Trump merely because the conduct alleged was not impeachable.”

Well, not that anyone will find opportunity in countering that opinion over the next few months.

But I guess by staying mum, they hope to avoid being placed at the scene of a crime.

3 Likes

He might if the polls don’t go the way he expect. He might convince himself that it would be enough to appease the angry mob and they will forgive him and the GOP.

1 Like

“For God’s sake don’t make me go on the record and have someone use my words against me!”

10 Likes

Can is be a weasel ostrich hybrid?

2 Likes

The world’s greatest deliberative body doesn’t want to talk about the problem called Trump. They don’t want to talk to reporters, constituents, or each other.

10 Likes

So it’s the old “On the advise of my lawyers and PR firm, I can’t make a statement at this time”.

4 Likes

And how many Republican votes would he expect to get? I’m guessing between zero and none.

4 Likes

Perhaps not. However it removes the fig leaf that a bunch of the GOP are standing behind if they don’t

7 Likes

Hickenlooper is going to win.

As is Kelly.

Both were already in good spots, but the behavior of Gardner and McSally has pretty much sealed the deal for both.

17 Likes

Remember the old adage “If you’re explaining, you’re losing?”

Good times.

3 Likes

Do you think Susan Collins will lose?

Senator Alexander was arguing more or less based on the merits, and whether or not he thought that the case had solid grounding,” Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) told TPM. “They lost me when they completely abused the impeachment power, so mine is purely on the basis on we should not even be having this discussion. I am not going to comment on the President’s choice of words or tactics. I had a real problem with the way it started.”

8 Likes

Cancer and GOP are very much related.

2 Likes

Which, in turn, makes the Pelosi/(Schumer) strategy re/ timetable for Articles seem…uh…pretty smart?

That motherfucker goes too, eventually.

4 Likes

Maybe not.

But it puts a lot of precisely the Senate GOPers that this article is talking about in a very tough spot.

Hell, even Alexander will have a tough time now that he came out and said the President’s conduct was inappropriate, and then refuse to support this motion. And he is retiring!

11 Likes

Yes. Though it still depends on who the eventual opponent is, and Maine does have a weird fetish for voting for Independents.

But I think she loses.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available