Senate Dems Tie Trump’s Election Lies To Extremist Violence | Talking Points Memo

Senate Democrats on Wednesday sought answers from the Biden administration on whether former President Donald Trump posed a national security threat to the country by continuing to spew lies about the 2020 election. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1373792
1 Like

FBI Director Christopher Wray’s absence from this hearing (and most post-1/6 new conferences) is glaring.

I once thought that he was a solid public servant, particularly because of the abuse he endured from Trump and RW media, but his unwillingness to testify explaining his leadership leading up to the insurrection and experiences on 1/6 in an open forum is a big red flag.

9 Likes

Could it not be the same thing that Garland stated? FBI is investigating and tracking down the insurrectionists. If Wray testifies than that can give defense attorneys cause to argue political bias.

6 Likes

Understanding how much the intelligence leading up to the insurrection pointed to the inevitability of violence is a critical area that Christopher Wray needs to contribute to. This in no way jeopardizes the criminal investigations or court cases.

If asked a question that would reveal details of ongoing investigations, there’s always a stock response that an public official can use to avoid a direct answer.

10 Likes

More than half the Republicans in Congress failed to act to protect the certification of the 2020 certified presidential election results of the states.

“ . . . the mechanics of the Electoral College allowed the defeated president to incite his followers into mounting the first attempt in U.S. history to seize the presidency by violence. Far from preventing them, the anti-majoritarian mechanisms of presidential elections were the crucial culprit in creating the “tumult and disorder” and the “heats and ferments” that so worried the authors of the Constitution.”- David Frum, 2/15/21

“Republicans are using Trump’s failed attempt to overturn the election as a guide to how you would change the system to make it possible.” – Jamelle Bouie, 3/30/21

If Trump lost the popular vote, the GQP planned to emphasize the Electoral College.
If he lost the Electoral College, they would promote spurious claims of election fraud and support challenges to the electors in Republican-controlled statehouses.

Recounts and GQP bills taking power over elections from local officials and giving it to the legislature to undermine the fair administration of elections and vote counting, are not a response to nonexistent voter fraud. They are a response to high Democratic voting turnout.

The GQP seems terrified of the potential of Democratic voters when all voters matter and count equally.

Republicans hope for scenarios where they can lose by millions of votes and still win the Electoral College.

Now we need to support and urge state legislators in states with the 75 more electoral votes needed, to enact the National Popular Vote bill to guarantee the presidency to the candidate who wins the most popular votes in the country.

12 Likes

You know who else got away with a failed coup?

…in The Big Lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted…in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to The Big Lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.

It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think there may be some other explanation.

For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.

Mein Kampf (Volume I, Chapter X)

20 Likes

Okay, AG Garland. You can now indict those who incited the violent January 6 putsch. Please do it.

9 Likes

OT—but related.

10 Likes

At least when we were fighting against ISIS and Al Queda, we didn’t have to worry that our allies in the fight were secret (or not so secret) supporters of terrorist organizations. I really wish I could say the same about the Republican Party, but empirical evidence suggests I cannot.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Errmmm…

Do I take the red or blue pill to get to that “normal universe” that existed before trump fucked things up?

5 Likes

Careful, reasoned responses by an Administration official before a Senate committee. How refreshing.

4 Likes

Wray was simply a less odious choice in a parade of terribles that Trump could have nominated. That doesn’t make him a good FBI director.

That was why I was hoping Trump would fire Wray before Biden’s inauguration. Then Biden could have put in a competent FBI director. Now we’re stuck with another Republican FBI director who will fail to do what is needed to fully tackle the Trumper/white supremacists’ violence. Don’t be surprised if after investigating/arresting the 1/6 insurrectionists, the FBI basically declares “mission accomplished”.

3 Likes

“I don’t think anybody is questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election.”-House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy

Just, WOW!

6 Likes

Chris Wray can’t be trusted because:

1. He’s a Republican
  2. He heads up a White Male Supremacist institution.
2 Likes

Seems right and logical…but…there are those in this very party who will continue to refute this notion …on the record… and are assisting the creation on state legislation that restrict voting rights…

“False narratives attributed to public officials gain traction in social media.”

Who could he be talking about? Could it be…

It worked in 2016.

1 Like

F’ing Joe (oops, Qevin) McCarthy did not vote to certify the election of Joe Biden. Just like the great majority of his caucus.

2 Likes

God what a Kafkaesque nightmare we continue to be in…

The GQP continues to lie about the election and insurrection – at the behest of Trump, yet the mere objective exercise of connecting the dots is considered “showing political bias”.

I don’t know at this point. How do you still “play by the rules” while letting the other team just do whatever the hell they want (largely with impunity to the key players)?

2 Likes