SCOTUS Tees Up Trump Question That Could Take A Lot Of Mulling To Answer

And The Rump offers the crystal-clearest possible promise what he will do if re-elected:

“Presidents will always be concerned, and even paralyzed, by the prospect of wrongful prosecution and retaliation after they leave office,” Trump wrote. “This could actually lead to the extortion and blackmail of a President. The other side would say, ‘If you don’t do something, just the way we want it, we are going to go after you when you leave office, or perhaps even sooner.’”

11 Likes

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”

Did he do that? He’ll no! What else is there?

11 Likes

Yes, and that’s what legal types like Judge Luttig, Neal Katyal and others were disturbed about yesterday. The Supreme Court expanded it but I would encourage you to read the NY Times piece by Lee Kovarsky. It is a bigger picture point.

Opinion | Trump Should Lose. But the Supreme Court Should Still Clarify Immunity. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

8 Likes

Hmmm. What to do? What to do? Should we usher in the demise of democracy in service of the most corrupt, incompetent and malicious man to ever occupy the presidency or not?

5 Likes

“Presidents will always be concerned, and even paralyzed, by the prospect of wrongful prosecution and retaliation after they leave office,” Trump wrote. “This could actually lead to the extortion and blackmail of a President. The other side would say, ‘If you don’t do something, just the way we want it, we are going to go after you when you leave office, or perhaps even sooner.’”

Unsurprisingly, what Donnie is already trying to do with his promises of payback against his purported persecutors.
The man simply doesn’t have much imagination and always works with what he already knows,

14 Likes

He makes a very MAGA GOP statement there.

7 Likes

“It’s a meaty and interesting theoretical discussion and, per the question that the Supreme Court presented in taking Trump’s immunity appeal of his D.C. Jan. 6 prosecution, will feature at the center of the justices’ thinking during oral arguments in April.”

I’m tired of meaty and theoretical discussions. Isn’t it long past time to ACT NOW against a son of a bitch who incited a violent crime, of which he was the obvious beneficiary, in front of thousands of eyewitnesses and millions of television viewers?

AMERICAN PUBLIC: “We’re running out of time to try Trump before the election, for Chrissake!”

SCOTUS: “Metaphysically speaking, what IS time, anyway, but merely a shared illusion?”

21 Likes

What, so Dr. Ronnie’s Xanax will bring welcome relief?

3 Likes

There is no such thing as “Presidential immunity.” There is a DoJ policy to not prosecute a sitting President; as far as I know, TFG is no longer s(h)itting in the Oval Office. This is a desperate attempt to avoid a trial, but I think he will only succeed in delaying it. Then again, having seen what this Court is able to pull off, I will be surprised by nothing. They never should have taken the case, Court of Appeals wrapped it up nicely, with a bow.

17 Likes

Lee Kovarsky, a professor at the University of Texas School of Law, distilled the non-Trump version of this view in a Thursday op-ed for the New York Times.

“The point is that, when the Supreme Court reviews the special counsel’s prosecution, it should do more than simply reject Mr. Trump’s assertion of official acts immunity,” Kovarsky wrote. “It should use the case to ensure that the federal judiciary has properly calibrated tools to ward off prosecutor abuse promised as political retribution.”

So, are we to think THIS SCOTUS is taking the opportunity to protect the rest of us from another Trump DOJ? Because all they REALLY needed to do was deny cert based on the very thorough circuit decision.

16 Likes

OT…

My god…from cnn
It’s the aid trucks swarmed by people on the coast road nesr Gaza city… the IDF started shooting and in the panic aid trucks ran over people. Now 110 are dead and many injured.
… … … … … … …
The incident happened hours before the health ministry announced that more than 30,000 people, including 21,000 children and women, had been confirmed killed in Gaza since the start of the conflict.

Some 7,000 others have been reported as missing and 70,450 have been treated for injuries over the past four months, according to the ministry.
… … … … … …
The numbers are easily higher because in the bombing of buildings people…lots of people… were blown to bits. No body to catalog.
Israel says it tries to be precise in its use of bombs and who it shoots. They brag that for each Hamas guy they kill only two civilians lose their lives. They claim some 30,000 Hamas guys are in Gaza. That then would claim 60,000 civilians by their reckoning
Sickening
Both sides revel in bloody carnage. Hamas is evil and any decent thought I had for Israel is gone.

14 Likes

This is Bullshit - The Court could have taken this up a month or so ago when Jack Smith asked them to.

11 Likes

Soooooo?

1 Like

Glaciers move at light speed compared to the Supreme Court

6 Likes

Trump is trying to lead them to his way of thinking. Remember when they insinuated that the ruling made in Colorado wasn’t correct because it could lead to other states removing democratic candidates from he ballot is they so desired. .

But, he will lose in November and then, game on.

6 Likes

I’m sorry, but this ruling by the SCOTUS shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes. If it is dragged out, regardless of the decision, it will prove that the court is totally corrupt and all the justices should be removed by impeachment. I know, I’m a dreamer.

5 Likes

Yup - pretty sure Jimmy Carter wasn’t worried when he was doing all his presidentin’—but then again, he was (and still is) a decent human being.

13 Likes

As well as the real possibility that he was and continues to be blackmailed or extorted by his overlord Vladimir Putin.

6 Likes

Fuck. These people need to be prosecuted for war crimes. I’m all for Israel’s right to exist, but they have shown time and again they have little if any regard for non-Israeli life.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available