SCOTUS Puts Judges Smack In The Middle Of The POTUS-Congress Subpoena Fight | Talking Points Memo

A perceived “win” or a perceived “loss” for the occupant, the subject will be alive for months; even without him being forced to answer to NY or Congress there are opponents of him personally and his admin who are going to make it topic one as often as possible. The Lincoln Project for one will have a ball with this as the subject matter.

On top of which he’ll be tweeting his grievances and how his feelings are hurt and the unfairness of it all and so on, so it won’t be out of the public’s eye well past election day.

But there is the Russian … solution.

Not sure I know what you mean unless it has to do with assassination by a Russian agent spiking the Diet Coke.

Grump has a lot on Putin, I suspect.

Shouldn’t be the other way around? Putin has stuff on trumPP we can’t even imagine going back to 2013 or earlier when the Miss Universe contest was in Moscow and the golden showers and the attempts to have one-on-one meetings with Putin, and attempts to get money to build a trumpp installation in Moscow.

2 Likes

That’s OK. I can wait…providing I live long enough. Eventually, it’ll all come out in the wash. He’ll have to give up something and probably after he’s already left office. Just so long as its still pursued in some way by Congress getting some of those records so we can all know just how much he’s lied to the American people, I’ll be satisfied. I’ll be even more satisfied when we learn how much he broke the law and Congress coming up with legislation that can prevent this ridiculous impasse from ever happening again.

Bullshit. Congress passed a law, and SCOTUS carved out an exception for the individual who occupies the office of the Presidency. That’s a clear violation of the intent of the law, and does the exact opposite of what SCOTUS claimed about not setting a second standard for the POTUS.

I’m in awe of how the SCOTUS decision is being derided here, when it is a 7-2 decision. Even RBJ concurred with the majority. But too many are talking about how SCOTUS worked to protect the IMPOTUS. The cognitive dissonance runs strong through a certain subset of this group.

Congress could also pass rules for the judiciary that would expedite cases dealing with subpoena disputes so that the “delay tactics are not that effective,” Turberville said.

Couldn’t Congress also pass a law taking these conflicts out of appellate review, per A. III, S.2, Cl. 2.?

1 Like

That depends on what Trump was fighting for. Given it’s July of an election year and Trump’s docs are something he’s fought harder to conceal than anything else he’s done I think what he wanted was for their contents to be unknown on Nov. 3rd and he’s got that.

The rulings are more of Robert’s Trojan Horses dressed up like fair and balanced jurisprudence but with a belly full of GOP goodies. Congress will now have to show a “legislative purpose” to go after a POTUS which allows pursuit with no hope of capture. Trump will get a redo on his effort to stiff subpoenas. They took his " I’m a God" defense away and told him to go back and do it again like a normal person. That will take the fight past Nov. 3rd. After that there will be no point as he’s certain to lose and no one will give a shit about him anymore.

I see it as a clear win for Trump.

Boil it down to what matters to Trump: No one see’s his financial docs. That’s what this is about. No one will see Trump’s doc…at least not until he doesn’t matter anymore. Who cares what RBG or Roberts dressed that up as? You WILL NOT SEE Trumps financial docs and the horrid things they contain before Nov. 3. Biden will not be able to use the contents of those docs against Trump.

The legalese being tossed about is biullshit.

Who you going to take that argument to?

For NY, we got everything. The Grand jury will get its info.

For Congress, they ruled that law was in fact constitutional, within some limits.

1 Like

I have to wonder if such dirt exists. If Putin has it he should have extracted more out of Trump than he has. At this point in the game if there’s a shady financial deal or a pee tape they’d be game changers. If Putin puts that out Trump is done. Biden can sit back and drink beer and win. the Democratic Party would not have to spend a dime and ALL of Trump’s yeas men and sycophants would be in deep shit. If Putin has that power why isn’t he using it? Sure Russia’s received some kid glove treatment by Trump but nothing in proportion to what Putin could force if he had a pee tape or a money laundering receipt.

Trump’s done. Putin and Zelensky know that and are adjusting right now. Obama loathed Putin and made no effort to hide that. Biden was right there with him. Zelensky proved to be a doofus comedian that lacked the guts it took to be in the middle between the USA and the RF. The Ukrainians are tired of him and know that if Biden is elected they’ll have a joker of a president that didn’t do shit to keep their government from fucking with the American President ( the guy that gives them money ) and his son.

It’s over for Trump. As far as Putin goes it’s back to the old rules. It will take Biden 2 years or more to patch up the pariah America has made of itself but he will do it. NATO will be strong. The EU an allay again. We’ll be back in WHO, Warming treaties and trade agreements. Tariffs will end. Ukraine will have to shit or get off the pot if their NATO and EU aspirations are to be. Russia will have no buddy in the USA. Putin knows this. So why is he not getting while the getting is good?

You won’t get jack until after the election which will render what is gotten moot.

Pretty much what richardinjax said, plus they gave Trump a basis for continuing to refuse to turn them over to congress which a normal citizen would have no ability to invoke. Special rules for a special little guy!
If congress asked for the tax records of you or me, they would have them immediately and you’d never know. The President gets special privileges and opportunities to block and delay it that nobody else does, which in a normal world would mean that the carved out exception is that he and his agents cannot interfere in such a request at all.

1 Like

withdrawn

The below post sent to me nails what the Court did.

Ignorant morons are declaring this some sort of liberal victory and Roberts some sort of hero. But the fact is that not only does Trump remain shielded, but he gets to play the victim. On “separation of powers”, the Court wrested fundamental Congressional powers away from Congress. 6103(f) is black letter law–who is the SCOTUS to say that Congress has to abide by the decisions of lower courts as to whether Congress has good enough reasons when the law, written and voted upon by Congress and signed by a U.S. President (I think it was Coolidge), says that the returns shall be given to Richard Neal? The Court’s choices were to either declare 6103(f) unconstitutional (for which it had no grounds) or to require the Secretary of the Treasury to turn over the returns as required by that law. Instead it chose to shred the Constitution and the very concept of black letter law. Not only is John Roberts no hero, but the “liberals” on the Court should be deeply ashamed for signing onto this travesty.

1 Like

I was going to write the same thing. What Roberts did was tell the executive and the legislative that if you can’t work the details out, the courts will help you using these 4 principals. Trump is the first President ever not to deal with the legislature at some level. Until Trump every President recognized that Congress needed information. The fights were over how much. This case was unprecedented because for over 200 years before Trump Presidents and Congressional leadership always figured out a compromise.

1 Like

Oh, no 'the privileged cracker residing in the White House, found out, that there is no way he’ll EVER live happily ever after as a KING. And jest of this Trumpty fairytale is that all the king’s horses and all the king’s men will just shrug their shoulders and walk away to view from afar the slow burn of the old egg. The cracked noodle will simply lay there while the white andd the old yeller stuff will just seep away, only to be known as the WORST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY.

BTW, Trumpty, since you’ve found out that you’re NOT above the law, just a mere mortal like the rest of us. I wouldn’t shoot anyone. Just remember JAILBIRDS can’t TWEET from behind bars

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available