Schumer Slams Trump’s ‘Petty, Unserious’ Response To His Letter On Supply Shortage

On Thursday night, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) blasted the snide way President Donald Trump had responded to his letter urging Trump to fully invoke the Defense Production Act (DPA) to mitigate the medical equipment shortage in New York amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1301505

“I’ve known you for many years, but I never knew how bad a Senator you are for the state of New York, until I became President"

I never knew tRump, yet I recognized he would be a terrible president on Nov 9, 2016.

45 Likes

Apparently, being POTUS absolves you of all responsibility for everything.

Everything is someone else’s fault.

The GOP is the Cult of Victimhood.

52 Likes

Hopefully Chuck will bate Donald enough that the latter just strokes out.

And I’ve got a jail cell in SuperMax for that fucking ghoul Kushner.

32 Likes

I watched this character in the 1970s and 80s. He was a big joke then - we laughed at his antics. And now - he’s POTUS … at the time of a worldwide pandemic. We’re doomed. God help us all!

35 Likes

Don Lemon had a great segment about lack of leadership. The clip is at Mediaite
Hope it receives the viewership it warrants. If you prefer to watch on YouTube:

28 Likes

And yet Trumps ratings continue to hold and creep slightly up! Can someone please explain how this can be true?

9 Likes

Sadly, that gave Trump more of the attention he craves. His NPD is working overtime, hence the two hour rallies on national TV every day, addressing everything BUT his role and actions in this pandemic. The media let him go on unrelentingly with irrelevant nonsense, which further feeds his narcissism. Sadly it helps no one but him.

Pull the plug on these things. Let Fox News and OAN do them - his supporters will find him. He is constitutionally unable to stick to the topic at hand. He continues to ignore the experts because he, in his NPD, believes he knows more than anyone else. He doesn’t. That’s demonstrated daily.

Pull the plug and start working around him. There are lives at stake.

56 Likes

Trump will probably bitch and moan about what Schumer said, then when he finally does claim he alone thought about it and implemented it just in time in spite of other telling him not to, and once it starts he’ll brag about how much good it’s doing even if it’s too little too late.

Edit: He does this shit every fuckin’ time!

21 Likes

Doonesbury nailed it back in the day.

8 Likes

41 Likes

That’s been my fondest fantasy for some time. With good luck, he’ll spaz out and collapse at the podium at one of his “briefings”, claw around on the floor while the cameras roll, and, as he expires, his bladder will empty on national TeeVee.
A fellow can dream.

23 Likes

Has anyone noticed a pattern? Impeachment will get him, his bad diet will get him, the Covid will get him and yet, nothing gets him. This is criminal.

21 Likes

It’s really the same everywhere: when a crisis hits, people line up behind the current leader. I’m in Sweden and our ruling Social Democrats haven’t seen poll numbers this good in many years.

25 Likes

Have we gotten to the point of realizing the ratings are meaningless? The one thing Trump’s people are good at is manipulating polls, ratings, PR and gas lighting. All of which should just be discounted. By entertaining that his numbers are realistic, it provides cover in the event they jigger the election again. Yeah, I know, I am still in the camp that does not believe he won his office legitimately. But all his bluster about his popularity sounds just like the set up to put the facade of plausibility in place again.

20 Likes

It’s wrong to give a desperate group of people false hope.

17 Likes

We start the day at 246k Corona Virus cases, 250k if you include the totals from the VA and the Department of Defense.

The overall hit rate is 18.33%. The hit rate this week is 24.1%. The fatality rate has crept up to 2.4% (awful for a developed country). We have 500k test results this week, which is the highest total for a week that we’ve done, but that just puts us at Germany’s level. We’re 4x bigger than Germany. Our testing has to be 1 mill per week at minimum, and really 2 mill per week if we want to make real headway against 'Rona.

We are testing obviously sick people so the hit rate is higher, but that hit rate tells you that we have a lot of very sick people, which means that there are many more who have the virus who are not obviously sick. A Chinese study suggested that testing is undercounting the actual number of infected persons by one-third due to false positives. That would mean the actual number of infected persons among those tested would be over 400k higher or 650k. I’ve had the working assumption that the actual number of infected persons is 3x to 5x more than the confirmed number from testing, so that would be put us in the million-ish range.

April will likely be the worst month in American history since April 1968 or the height of WW II.

44 Likes

What took you so long?

2 Likes

Totally agree …
Especially the issue of “what is the true number of cases”
Effectively “screening” so that you only test those with obvious & concerning symptoms… virtually guaranteed that you have a huge untested cohort of “positive for the virus” that is unchecked & still out in the community… maybe practicing “social distancing” … maybe not … but definitely totally unaccounted.

17 Likes

Death Cult of Victimhood, sounds like an edgy 90’s emo band.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available