Schumer Picks Apart Latest GOP Excuse On Impeachment Witnesses | Talking Points Memo

GOP argument #1 - the Democrats shouldn’t be able to call witnesses in the Senate trial because they should have gone to court to force compliance.

GOP argument #2 - the Democrats should not be able to call witnesses in the Senate trial because the fight over subpoenas will take too long.

Real reason, of course, is that the witnesses will be bad for the GOP.

12 Likes

This and more gutting of Clean Water Act, etc., he’s lashing out and destroying whatever he can while he can. Be nice if some respected person on the TV would point out how trump is behaving while all this is going on. The narcissist is cornered, he’s at his most dangerous and he is tearing shit up in plain sight because he’s being exposed, he’s guilty and he’s afraid.

12 Likes

Yep…this is definitely going to be their excuse…“If the Dems think they are getting witnesses after being so insulting, they’ve got another think coming…”

4 Likes

BINGO !

" Fox News devised a way to cover the impeachment trial without covering it at all

Viewers were shown video without the audio, allowing hosts to spin the proceedings in real time."

9 Likes

Like I said…Friday is Bigfoot Day…like fucking clockwork…

Fucking retards.

9 Likes

Bolton can be called to testify and the invoke EP on a question-by-question basis. Trump would have us believe EP allows him to give a lifetime ban to anybody whose ever worked with him in any capacity. It doesn’t work that way. For starters, EP doesn’t apply to criminal activity.

EP has grown completely out of control It’s a “right” that was invented by the Executive Branch, with the participation of the Courts, that has no Constitutional or statutory basis.

Also something to keep in mind: none of the people ordered by Trump to not testify has actually used the words “executive privilege”. We’ve yet to hear any legal basis for their obstruction.

Been trying to find a source for who has actually claimed EP, and it seems like only McGahn has used the argument in a court (and his claim was rejected).

Below is a good article on the topic. A key paragraph:

Given these principles and earlier OLC arguments, it would appear that some of the immunity claims advanced by President Trump on behalf of his aides seek to stretch the law of executive privilege beyond its acknowledged boundaries. Indeed, in the case of some witnesses who have been instructed not to testify, the stretch is extreme. In particular, claiming immunity for staff who are not direct reports to the president, for members of the cabinet or their staff, and for people who have left the government would require the courts to go far beyond rethinking the availability of subpoena immunity for the closest active presidential aides.

13 Likes

WHITE. CHRISTIAN. NATIONALISM. MUST. DIE.

6 Likes

As I said upthread, he’s lashing out and trying to destroy all he can while he can. He’s cornered, he’s guilty and he’s afraid. We knew this was coming.

7 Likes

Here’s the thing that I’ve been thinking on Obstruction of Congress

If (ha) the Senate lets Trump off the hook on Obstruction, instead of forcing him to go to court to fight any documents or testimony, the Congress itself will be surrendering the right of oversight by its own vote.

What court is going to step in in the future and say someone has to show up or present documents when they have taken a vote to deny themselves the right? No administration after this will ever have to surrender a single document or testify under oath about anything ever again.

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

Gas lighting is so annoying.

3 Likes

LOL, wait until they see how insulted they are by the trump team’s performance.

3 Likes

It’s beyond disinformation and such. Faux News is literally trying to retard the populace…and that’s a correct use of the word that doesn’t require me to pay the jar.

Altho, I forgot to above…$5 in the jar…I’ll pay it forward for later…

5 Likes

Here’s what they are being told to believe about that…

4 Likes

Roberts’ milquetoastness was his main qualification for his position. I would never expect anything else from him.

1 Like

Oh I know…I have older people in my world who are Fox fiends and even a former friend who’s all deranged now because he’s hooked on the babes over OAN.
I don’t know how we fix that, hoping Fox will go down with trump and a revisit to the Fairness Doctrine will come about. Or something besides waiting for the demographic to die out.

3 Likes

I thought that there was a general opinion that during the trial in the Senate, that the supenas would not be reviewable by the courts.

They’re seeing Schiff, but they’re not hearing him, instead they are spoon fed lies by Hannity and the rest of the Fox News prime time lineup while playing the silent video of the Democratic arguments.

6 Likes

Best are US mail letters, since they are required to be retained by the receiving agency.

Allowing for the occasional midnight shredding, I guess.

3 Likes

I don’t know why, I just feel like team rump is going to fail spectacularly. If they’re just playing to R Senators, Fox viewers and trump himself…that ain’t gonna work and they’ll look foolish.

Then again…never underestimate the stupidity of a lot of Americans, but this just feels different. We’ll see.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available