Schiff Argues That Trump Is Threat To Republic In Impeachment Closer | Talking Points Memo

President Trump presents an unprecedented threat to the country’s Constitutional structure and would “make himself a monarch,” said lead impeachment manager Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) as he closed his opening argument Friday night.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1286849
1 Like

If there is no fair trial in this case, then there is no reason to pay lip service to the Constitution nor to the Founding Fathers.

14 Likes

Spoiler alert:

The defense presentation, in its entirety, will be:

"If he’s full of shit

You must acquit"

14 Likes

Closing Dems’ Opening Argument, Schiff Says That Trump Is Threat To Republic

I concur with every fiber of my being.
Trump and a morally bankrupt GOP pose a real world threat to democracy in the US.

37 Likes

If we can’t save our republic, at least we can look to this man and say he represented the best of us, and we went down fighting. If we can save it, as I believe we can, we need to memorialize and honor him at the highest level. Thank you, Mr. Schiff. This was a terrible crisis, but you stepped forward and showed us why we ought to be proud. Let’s step up ourselves, gang. We can do this. We have to do this.

65 Likes

No. The failure was not in the document or its framers. The failure was in the GOP members of Congress who swore to uphold that document and remember the sacrifices made to keep the republic it made possible a viable society. They betrayed their vows. God damn them forever.

46 Likes

op Sound Of Madness – sung to the tune of My Favorite Things

My great face in the mirror wrapped in illusion
I am so marvelous - it’s not a delusion
Evangelicals singing my name in high praise
These things make up my favorite days

A scantily clad model with fear on her face
Sycophants bowing and scurrying with haste
MAGAts shouting my name with fists raised
These are more of my favorite things

Immigrants acting like scared little squirrels
My sneering face with my lips in a curl
Rallies with MAGAts frothing and shouting I’m king
These are a few more of my favorite things

When my face aches, when my brain hurts,
When I’m boiling mad
I simply remember my devious ways
And then I can feel so glad!

12 Likes

“He’s one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius. You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison, and we have to protect all of these people that came up with originally the light bulb, and the wheel and all of these things. And he’s one of our very smart people, and we want to cherish those people.”

“I spoke to him very recently, and he’s also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And he does good at rockets, too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything and they’re landing. I said, ‘I’ve never seen that before.’"

- Donald Trump on Elon Musk, 2020

14 Likes

I saw a part of that speech. Schiff is great, I’m not sure that we as a country deserve him. Nevertheless, I am glad and thankful that we have him.

19 Likes

Capture

Did I say, he does rockets? Rockets!

11 Likes

Maybe. But we have to try to do this.

4 Likes

Tierney Sneed’s piece is very good.

The Republican senators are in denial about their fear of Trump. None of what Schiff and the rest said to them – methodically and eloquently – over the past three days went in. None of it.

13 Likes

Spaceballs.

3 Likes

Mars Attacks

2 Likes

This, like Schiff’s two other closers on the previous days of Trump’s trial, was a speech for the ages. These are among the greatest speeches ever delivered in the Senate, going all the way back to Charles Sumner, Henry Clay, and Daniel Webster.

His real audience, of course, is the American people, not those shrivel-souled cowards on the Republican side of the Senate. May his speeches go viral, with salutary effect on the broader public.

28 Likes

I don’t think Schiff’s speeches were aimed at those blockhead Republicans. He was addressing the Democrats, the electorate. He’s a big hero in Canada where I live too.

27 Likes

I’m guessing no one in Trump’s life has ever come at him in as sustained and as effective a manner as Representative Schiff. He landed body blow after body blow after body blow and if we had real referees, they would have called it.

Schiff minced no words. He called the President’s actions for what they were -blatant acts of corruption from a man with no character or decency. A man who’s a clear danger to all we hold dear. He said what needed to be said in a clear, calm tone, never resorting to petty name-calling or idle threats.

Trump may well respond by a tweet or a couple hundred from the safety of his bedroom, but everyone knows he’s too chicken-shit to testify in public under oath.

My verdict: Schiff in a TKO.

45 Likes

Nice description. I shall try to remember this one.

6 Likes

If ?

3 Likes

Yes, good reporting. According to her, Republicans got a little bit upset when Schiff delivered the “head on a pike” line:

> "was revealed by CBS News’ Chief Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes, who reports, “One Trump confidant tells CBS News that GOP senators have been warned: ‘Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike.’”

My take on this is that it is good that they were made uncomfortable. If they use this as a reason they won’t vote for witnesses, well that is their choice and it will be a bad one for them and their R colleagues. Poor little darlings. How dare we put their right-wing asses in between a rock and a hard place? Moderates, Ha!

Good choice, Mr Schiff.

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available