Scenes From a MAGA Meltdown: Inside the ‘America First’ Movement’s War Over Democracy

Maybe in the undemocratic electoral college, which slave owners foisted upon the young United States. But if votes counted, Biden won by 7 million.

13 Likes

I keep recalling a passage from the third book in CS Lewis’s “Out of the Silent Planet” trilogy, “That Hideous Strength”, in which one of the characters (on the Bad Side, natch) notes that it’s much easier to gaslight city folk, because what they know about the world, they get from newspapers. So all you have to do is plant the right stories.

The right wing media (aka “mighty wurlitzer”) is bad enough, but now the so-called “mainstream” has gone all infotainment, whoring after clicks by bothsiderizing everything and concentrating on the most sensational, albeit trivial, stories. Often, literally “stories.”

So it’s increasingly hard for the regular Joe or Josephine to find reliable and useful news. They don’t need to be “stupid” to end up misinformed or uninformed.

6 Likes

It really amazed me when this guy, who went to DC to demonstrate against Biden and actually assisted in filming the insurrection riot, was part of the riot – seemed to believe it was “a prayer meeting.”

Remind me to stay away from that guy’s church.

15 Likes

“Stand for God” shirt

Because God, being a kind of defenseless “cosmic geek”, is totally incapable of standing up for itself.

8 Likes

This makes me wonder what’s happened in the Wisconsin Republican Party. Despite being from there, I have little knowledge of what’s happening in their ranks. Are they as looney as the Michiganders? Or Kansas, where I’m from? How strong is MAGA there, when they’ve seen the governorship flip?

3 Likes

A funny guy from Carnegie Mellon U. Richard Pell.
They do great work there in technology and neurological pathways…

https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rp3h/

3 Likes

In a perfect world they would all resort to cannibalism and eat each other.

6 Likes

Sounds great! These morons would fuck up pre-sweetened Kool Aid. Between Trump’s grift and these idiots, they may very well cause the GOP to go the way of the Whigs. Then, after the Darwin Awards have congratulated the “America First” contingent for killing the GOP, maybe a new Libertarian Conservative Party will be formed from the millions on anti-Trumpers.

5 Likes

I get your point, but since the Electoral College was invented, and evolved since 1878…it was a way for older established states not to control who becomes President. Have we allowed it to stand as is for too long, yes.

6 Likes

I can’t remember when I found MSNBC, but I watched it a lot. Over the years I narrowed down who I watched Rachel and O’Donnell. From Rachel I don’t just get news, and analysis of what is being done, I also get a history lesson. I find context to be foundational in understanding how and why we’re where we are.
O’Donnell gives me law and history too.

17 Likes

And Hillary won by 3 million. Gore won by 500,000.

6 Likes

WHY? When you have been made afraid, you lose you center & common sense, as in:
a. He has convinced them that he hates who they hate, yet with a bigger cudgel.
b. He allows their base, degenerate values (racism, grievance, greed, etc) the light of day.
c. They like his ignorant, unprincipled, corrupt judges.
d. Since Gingrich, rightwing propaganda has convinced them that not-GOP = enemies.

9 Likes

I have been enjoying Joy Reid, and Lawrence. Joy has a different, studied take on many things others at MSNBC don’t. And, as a black woman, her perspective and experience is excellent!

9 Likes

The messages I get out of Fox, it’s next MSNBC on my cable line-up, is now all ranting and raving all the time. There is no context, there is no history, there is only foaming at the mouth.

4 Likes

So many people, who do stuff like drive cars and use computers and operate machinery, at the same time deny objective reality that happens right in front of their faces. I’m not sure how or if this kind of mass delusion winds down, maybe it never does, but I suspect it isn’t headed for a happy ending.

What happens after tfg dies, and I hope it’s soon, is a big question. Some of these people maybe will just go back into their holes. I know personally at least one who really seems to want a hot civil war in which he can gun down libs. Perhaps the increasing hostility of the planet will give them something else to focus on as they sit in the ruins of their towns and neighborhoods. Hard to tell, but I’m stunned constantly by the level of delusion. I didn’t think it was possible when I was younger, but here we are.

6 Likes

In electoral college terms, yes, but not the popular vote.

8 Likes

Although the margins were narrow, Biden won enough states to deny Trump a Bush v. Gore scenario the SCOTUS could mess with, as in Bush v. Gore. IIRC, he would have had to flip four states to overturn the election.

That’s what we have to aim for in November. Doesn’t matter if the margins are narrow, as long as Biden wins by more than one state as a fulcrum for the entire election.

14 Likes

These people could not possibly be any stupider, and I am here to watch them self-immolate the GOP to the absolute ground.

17 Likes

e. Religious (Are they really?) leaders constantly pushing the message(s) every Sunday.
f. Their belief has been warped by those same leaders. They do not know what being a Christian is.
g. Never underestimate the power of a Charismatic. I did before DJT, no longer.

7 Likes

Sort of makes me think that all is not well. They keep amp-ing up spectacle as if they are afraid they are losing their audience.

4 Likes