Republicans Erupt After Dem Rep. Calls Their DC Statehood Arguments ‘Racist Trash’ | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-NY) took the floor Thursday morning, one of a long line of representatives getting a minute of floor time to make the case for D.C. statehood before the House passed it this afternoon. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1371016
3 Likes

“One Senate Republican said that D.C. wouldn’t be a ‘well-rounded working class state,’” he chuckled, referring to Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR). “I had no idea there were so many syllables in the word ‘white.’”

He had me laughing right there. Spot on truth.

107 Likes

One would think the Tea Party Republicans would defend DC Statehood rights on the grounds of “taxation without representation”. But no, they don’t believe large minority communities should have basic Constitutional rights!

46 Likes

The Constitution clearly requires that each state must have at least one car dealership, and an airport.

40 Likes

“One of my House Republican colleagues said that D.C. shouldn’t be a state because the district doesn’t have a landfill — my goodness!” he exclaimed. “With all the racist trash my colleagues have brought to this debate, I can see why they’re worried about having a place to put it.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:Oh my Black Baby Jesus, that’s hilarious!

100 Likes

Calling Republicans racist is the real racism.

40 Likes

Have they trotted Senator Scott out to show they are not racist?

Here is our black friend, we can not possibly be racist.

21 Likes

And a mine.

5 Likes

No lies detected but it won;t help Dems win in White suburban swing districts. Do you all think all of the sudden all the Whites have gotten religion when it comes to race and the GOP? lol

4 Likes

I’m fine with making the 5 states with less than 1M people districts - Alaska, N & S Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming. Seems a fair compromise.

57 Likes

R: “This just is a Democrat power grab.”

D: “This is just Republican racism.”

R: “How dare you question our motives??”

37 Likes

As the GOP becomes more racist, Democrats increasingly are more open about calling them racist.

Of course the GOP is reactive to this; but everyone, including the GOP know that it is true so why pretend anything else.

25 Likes

“One Senate Republican said that D.C. wouldn’t be a ‘well-rounded working class state,’” he chuckled, referring to Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR). “I had no idea there were so many syllables in the word ‘white.’”

Support truth. Support Rep. Mondaire Jones.

52 Likes

Wow, you sure can cause a lot of faux righteous indignation when you speak truth to white power.

30 Likes

Mondaire is an excellent Progressive.

Support him.

28 Likes

That’s a Barney Frank-level burn.

36 Likes

In a nutshell.

Thanks.

20 Likes

The opposition to statehood for DC is about both power and race. Its hard to imagine Republicans electing any Senators or Representatives from DC for a long time to come. The race card is being played because of pure racism and also because it is an effective means of mobilizing the Republican base so as to have a path for Red legislative majority in the future.

11 Likes

WaiT. We’re RaciST trasH becaUse blaCks lacK quality Votes, donT have a garbaGe dump, No airPort aNd only one car dealership and therefore shoulD be eLigible to vote? Bizarre.

17 Likes

He hurt their feelings… awww. Shame on him for telling the truth.

19 Likes