Republican Attacks On Wisconsin Election Officials Alarm Outside Experts | Talking Points Memo

“creeping fascism”
Nope.
Racing at full speed fascism
Powered by Republican bullies

14 Likes

From the article: Republican politicians are seeking to shake confidence in Wisconsin’s election system with a partisan review of the 2020 results and wild allegations of criminal wrongdoing, marking a dangerous time for democracy in the state, outside experts said Wednesday.

The only criminal activity in elections in Wisconsin have come from Waukesha. I despise what has been happening in the closets of the capitol Republicans. since longer than 1980. Mrs. Rennebohm (the statue on the top of the Capitol dome) is shaking her head, palm over her face, in shame.

I was an election official in Wisc until 2012. April Primary was in April, and that was my last time “at the wheel.” I cannot tell you enough how horrible the Republicans wanted to make voting there… :rage:

11 Likes

That is the sound of years of good ol’ repression. Good Nazis. Wisconsin was clearly a terminal case, first diagnosed in about 1970.

Seems like the only good thing that came out of the state was the American Naturist Society.
Although there are still a few good people left, still fighting the Progressive fight.

5 Likes

Why is this not a Federal crime?

3 Likes

Joe McCarthy would be so proud of his state. He was from the Appleton - Oshkosh, WI area.

8 Likes

Democrats had well better get off their asses about shit like this.

Silence is Submission!

5 Likes

Why is it necessary to wait? We need people in the streets.

Things Rs hate:

• women’s autonomy
  • people of color
  • democracy
  • paying our troops
  • the law
10 Likes

And what is the Democratic governor doing? That is why Republicans always win, because they use the powers they have available to their own advantage, unlike democrats that afraid to wield power because “what independent voters will think?” .

Women have lost their right to abortion already, Democracy itself might already be out the window, and I really never saw Democrats fight back.

1 Like

Republicans are planning on crushing Democrats in the midterms. It doesn’t help that Dems are getting vapid advice like this.

How do Democrats balance a commitment to core constituencies while at the same time addressing economic issues that voters are confronting every day?

The No. 1 issue for women right now is the economy, and the No. 1 issue for Black voters is the economy, and the No. 1 issue for Latino voters is the economy. I’m not advocating for us ignoring social issues, but when we think broadly about voters, they actually all want us talking about the economy and doing things to help them out economically.

As Bill Clinton learned it’s always the economy. That’s a given. What Americans don’t like to hear is that we are in a climate emergency. It is the biggest threat to public health, the biggest driver of displacement and migration globally, not to mention loss of natural services and famine. Politically, it’s a heavy lift, but shouldn’t politicians and policymakers earn their salaries? “The economy” to most people means having some money, Yield curves, trade balance figures, option deltas, and GARCH analyses are just noise. But money is likely meaningless in a drawn-out global extinction event. Health, happiness and simple survival will be most important.

2 Likes

With their extreme gerrymander, Wisconsin’s legislature is no more democratically legitimate than the Soviet Union’s once was. If this sheriff goes ahead with arresting commission members as the legislature seeks to put apparatchiks in charge of elections in a bid to steal the next one, perhaps that will be enough to start taking Article 4 Section 4 seriously.

“The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government”

Send in the national guard, shutter the legislature, draw new maps and hold a fair election. If we don’t act, they certainly will.

9 Likes

And since even that districting wasn’t a big enough advantage, they’re going to ignore the will of the people of WI and consolidate even more power over elections. If I was an intellectual in WI, I’d keep my head on a swivel for the purge.

4 Likes

[Wisconsin] Republican politicians are seeking to shake confidence in Wisconsin’s election system…

So Republicans can get elected to fix it.

But good.

Stupidest Senator said WHAT?

Has he said if he IS or IS NOT running? I am donating to Lasry because this guy is a BUTT BOIL.

1 Like

There is a race going on - a race to be the first state to elevate the concept of “States Rights” higher that ever before and fundamentally and structurally reject representative democracy.

There are several front runners - several who are close to gaining a defacto fascist totalitarian governmental operation … but the real golden trophy will go to the state that codifies it into regulation and law … and cements a white-fundamentalist christian iron-fisted rule for generations to come … finds a way to implement judicial-review resistant modern-day Jim Crow rules … so - nothing “progressive” or enhancing of personal “liberty” can be finessed into the system in any swift manner … even if 70% of the state’s population is in favor of it …

1 Like

The economy is booming. Polling be dammed. Focus on what matters. VOTING RIGHTS AND HUMAN RIGHTS!

1 Like

Did you read The Guardian article? The legislature does something, Evers vetoes it, they fail on the override but then sue, then the Wisconsin Supreme Court rules for the legislature position.

FIRST thing they did when Evers won was strip the governor of most of his powers. Evers vetoed, they sued, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled for the legislature position.

They ruled against EVERY Covid-19 protocol he put in.

Your post struck me as blaming the rape victim. He is TOTALLY circumscribed in what he can do. (I follow Wisconsin politics just ‘because’ and donate to a number of people in the state. Hey I wonder if Paul Ryan is still living in Middle America Janesville now that he’s on the F-ING BOARD OF FOXNEWS?)

7 Likes

Those privileges are multiplying like gremlins…

2 Likes

Seriously? You’re kidding, right?

It now appears to be a fundamental albeit viciously circular argument on the Right that Democratic governance is illegitimate by definition therefore preventing Democratic electoral success by any means is legitimate. This thread by Thomas Zimmer outlines the key elements of Republican ‘logic’ viz

The diffuse ideas of fraud are a result and a manifestation of this underlying belief – they gain plausibility among conservatives not because of empirical evidence, but because they adhere to the higher truth of who is and who is not legitimately representing “real” America. 7/
3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available