Reports: Feds Also Investigating Obstruction In Gaetz Probe | Talking Points Memo

Federal prosecutors are investigating whether Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) obstructed justice during an alleged three-way phone call he had with a former flame and a witness in an ongoing sex-trafficking probe into the congressman, according to multiple reports.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1376218

Gaetz denies any wrong doing. When Gaetz does it it isn’t wrong. Simple!

12 Likes

Unsurprising opening sentence:

… Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) obstructed justice during an alleged three-way …

27 Likes

Gaetz as a cooperator…my only interest in him.

15 Likes

Federal prosecutors are investigating whether Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) obstructed justice during an alleged three-way phone call he had with a former flame and a witness in an ongoing sex-trafficking probe

I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we hear Gaetz is no good with three-ways.

18 Likes

“Congressman Gaetz pursues justice, he doesn’t obstruct it,” he said in the statement.

“It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on.”

5 Likes

There is a difference between an investigation and accusations of misconduct. Gaetz and company would have everyone think otherwise.

6 Likes

I understand the wheels of justice turning slowly, but I’m not hanging by the neck, waiting for anything to happen to this guy, anymore than I’m waiting for anything to happen to the insurrectionists, the Congresscritters that assisted the insurrection, or any of the previous administration, including the Mango Mussolini.

This is a whole lot of buildup to an ultimate disappointment that someone in the investigation will mess up or be compromised and the whole thing is dropped. I’m basing my attitude on the Mueller report (and now he’s teaching in a university? Talk about being rewarded for inaction).

None of these people currently under investigation have ever been held accountable because they know where bodies are buried. We saw this over the last four years and I’m not sure why the current situation will be any different.

I’ll take far more interest when the frog marches of these criminals occur on Faux Noise.

18 Likes

Gaetz: “No worries…Trump’s pardon is rolling down the pike (in August)”

20 Likes

Dear Qanon poster-manchild Gaetz,

I hear that tea with lemon is a good ritual to soothe the throat before singing.

13 Likes

“Congressman Gaetz pursues justice, he doesn’t obstruct it,” he said in the statement. “The anonymous allegations have thus far amounted to lies, wrapped in leaks, rooted in an extortion plot by a former DOJ official. After two months, there is still not a single on-record accusation of misconduct, and now the ‘story’ is changing yet again.”

Yes. His response is very Trumpian. Sadly Republicans believe that it worked for Trump so they’re following that same aggressive bordering on bellicose PR playbook to a criminal investigation, apparently forgetting they don’t have Bill Barr or an OIG “get out of jail free” memo. He’s practically daring the justice system to do something.

29 Likes

That Trump proclaims this belief underlines how deranged he has become since he lost.

5 Likes

So long as he is thoroughly chastened as well, in the interest of justice.

2 Likes

On a scale of bread to ash, how much toast is Matt Gaetz?

24 Likes

You forget that this ain’t a political case it’s a regular crime one. Regular crimes tend to get charged, and this one already has a guilty plea from Gaetz’s buddy.

He’s nobody special, just one out of hundreds of congresscritters, nothing that’ll keep him protected.

39 Likes

So far, he hasn’t yet been cut off from the rest of the loaf, so still very white bread.

9 Likes

It’s tough to strut, grovel, and cower at the same time…

20 Likes

One of the advantages of not having a spine.

3 Likes

O’Donnell had an analyst on and he said that the delusions will increase. The analyst said that with a straight face.

The interesting thing during that interview was that O’Donnell, a person familiar with political decisions, asked the analyst questions about what Trump would do.

The analyst stuck to his area:

"The delusions will increase"

Aside from the admirable professionalism of a man wedded to his profession, his interview told me one thing that is always overlooked with Trump.

No GOP, No Trump

12 Likes

Or how confident he is in the progress of the plans to reinstall him to office.

1 Like