Report: WH Aides Talked Trump Out Of Demanding $2,000 Stimulus Checks | Talking Points Memo

White House aides stepped in to stop President Donald Trump on Thursday from issuing a statement calling for much larger stimulus payments to millions of Americans in a move that would have undermined his own treasury secretary, the Washington Post reported late Thursday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1350016

What a clusterfuck.

23 Likes

High professionality as usual

15 Likes

And, right to the end, on the rare occasions when his NPD leads him to do something right, there are his aides always ready to talk him out of it.

41 Likes

He has a ton of Grima Wormtongue clones advising him it appears.

18 Likes

I find nothing stimulating about Fat Nixon.

10 Likes

Neither does Melania.

14 Likes

What this story doesn’t include is that Trump probably wanted (again) to have his name on the checks.

He also probably wanted to make the larger checks contingent on his being able to remain in the White House for four more years…and beyond.

40 Likes

I can’t believe eliminating the corporate income tax is not on McConnell’s list of “must have” conditions for this stimulus bill.

8 Likes

But he doesn’t ever do anything right without there also being a bigger benefit for him.

17 Likes

33 days

December 18, 2020 - January 20, 2021

And not one word on the biggest security hack in our history.That will take years to figure out the damage that has been done

31 Likes

How is he supposed to distract us from the fact that he has allowed the Russians complete access to our computer systems if they won’t let him ask for this? How will they divert us from the fact that they’re refusing to release vaccine doses if they can’t pretend that they want to give people more money? Is the deep state that deep? How’s a man supposed to set everything on fire if he can’t change the subject? Isn’t the GOP supposed to be OK with amassing debt when a Republican is in office? Why care about that now?

19 Likes

I agree with Paul Krugman on this and disagree with the odd couple of Bernie Sanders and Josh Hawley, This is not a situation of insufficient demand. Restaurants and bars aren’t shut for lack of customers with cash to spend, they are shut for health reasons. You could drop $10,000 in my account and I won’t be able to go to a restaurant that’s closed. The aid should be focused on those who are unemployed and on businesses that have been forced to shut or have seen a serious drop in revenue. I would rather see them get everything they need and me not get a penny, since I haven’t lost a penny in income.

55 Likes

BINGO!

I have no doubt one of Trump’s stipulations was to remain president.That’s the real ‘news’ they don’t want to get out.

Then there’s this added facet:

22 Likes

Remember during the 2016 when Trump was criticized for “lacking the required temperament to hold the office?” The nation was forewarned.

16 Likes

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s episode of “Days of our Strife”.

15 Likes

“Hey, it ain’t my money. So let’s leave them something to love me for. What’s wrong with that?”

8 Likes

This. I heard anecdotes that his name on the last checks worked–made people vote for him. One was a friend of my wife’s. They actually believed he had gotten the money for them.
He wants that again.

22 Likes

A guy I worked with thought the money came from Trump’s bank account. There’s a lot of stupid out there.

27 Likes

Same with this guy. Friend tried to explain it to him, that it had come from the government because Congress had passed the bill. Oh, no, that’s not true, guy said. It came from Trump himself. He can do that, because he’s rich.
Did I mention he lives in WV?

28 Likes