Report: McCarthy Asked Katko To Negotiate With Dems On 1/6 Commission

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) had asked Rep. John Katko (R-NY) to negotiate with Democrats on the rules for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s proposed commission to investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, according to Playbook.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1374288
1 Like

Un-indicted.

32 Likes

insisting that any effort to look into the events of January 6 also include a look into supposed left-wing violence, insinuating that it was a problem at anti-racism protests

One of these things is not like the other…

I guess Qevin never watched Sesame Street

30 Likes

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) had asked Rep. John Katko (R-NY) to negotiate with Democrats on the rules for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s proposed commission to investigate the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, according to Playbook.

So, the reactionaries do understand the concept of ‘recusal.’
Now, if they’s just edumacate their partisans on the SC, the whole nation would be in a better place.

13 Likes

“I suppose that in a dark room, even a dim bulb feels bright.” – David Marusek

18 Likes

The only book required to deal with the current GOP is The Art of War. Everything is total gamesmanship. There is absolutely no desire to either learn the truth or deal with it accordingly.

18 Likes

12 Likes

Apparently he forgot to include “un-subpoenaed” in his instructions.

12 Likes

Additionally, Playbook reports that the New York Republican was able to get almost everything McCarthy had asked for in the negotiations.

Does the include the question of the McCarthy subpoena?

7 Likes

Pretty clear to me that the GQP is trying to convince a majority of White suburban voters that if left-wing militancy hadn’t happened then insane White Rump followers (a/k/a patriots) wouldn’t have followed through on the insurrection. Because clearly, these patriots (a/k/a sc*mbags) had no other choice.

17 Likes

I’m not so sure about that: subpoenas may need the approval of both chairs on the committee, so that may be what they’ve tried to build in to muck up the works.

10 Likes

“You’ve got to look at what the build-up before and what has gone on afterwards, otherwise the commission does not work,” the Republican House leader told reporters, per NBC News.

Here is the timeline for you:

1. Trump flapped his lying trap for months before the election.
  2. He kept flapping it after the election.
  3. He and his cronies set up the insurrection day activities.
  4. He and said cronies flapped some more that day.
  5. The unhinged deplorables followed his orders by marching on and invading the Capitol.
41 Likes

McCarthy:

“You’ve got to look at what the build-up before and what has gone on afterwards, otherwise the commission does not work,”

Really? Why? There is zero overlap between the BLM protests and the insurrection. Different people, different objectives, different fomentors, different targets, etc.

31 Likes

What the hell dose that even mean? Tell me what he got and didn’t get.

12 Likes

I tend to think that, generally, elected Republicans are not as stupid as they play on TV.

They are playing to the curated ignorant base.

With McCarthy, I think he has ascended because he is genuine in that he is that stupid.

Just like Trump.

This sort of of authenticity in ignorance is something trump’s base can see. This is why the likes of Cruz and Cotton will not get the nod in 2024. They are not authentically stupid, just awful people playing the stupid.

32 Likes

Ha!

Remember when R’s negotiated with Dems on all those Benghazi investigations?

Neither do I.

27 Likes

Katko is an interesting choice of negotiator on Craven Kevin’s part: Tuesday Grouper, one of the “disloyal ten” who voted to impeach.

My SWAG is that Kevin’s got his marching orders from Mitch, who wants nothing better than to cut the former guy off at the knees without getting his fingerprints on the weapon.

23 Likes

This is entirely reasonable. The major flaw in the Warren Commission was their failure to note what Kennedy had done to piss off Oswald.

32 Likes

Basically, the impeachment managers laid out the build up, although details are still being added about the planning and coordination.

6 Likes

Buildup before: Trump-Co lying about fraud for two straight months.
What’s gone on afterwards: Trump-Co lying about fraud for FOUR straight months.

16 Likes