Pompeo Waffles On ‘Imminent’ Iran Threat: We Don’t Know ‘Precisely’ Where Or When

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo insisted on Thursday night that the alleged threat from Iran “was real” even though the Trump administration didn’t know when or where the attack was supposed to happen.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1283839
1 Like

This entire administration is slippery as hell!

10 Likes

Yep. That’s the definition of imminent. Think we got a little over our skis?

31 Likes

“And we don’t know precisely when and we don’t know precisely where …"

“We don’t even know vaguely when and we don’t know vaguely where. But, hey, none of that really matters now.”

27 Likes

He was looking at me funny.

26 Likes

Not true. I’ve never voted for a Republican in my life.

28 Likes

I’m completely shocked this is the case!

4 Likes

A parody of incoherence and the tragedy of someone who is language challenged.

31 Likes

It’s simple, it’s sounds like bullshit because it is bullshit

25 Likes

It seems to be a distinctively American thing that you have to have a named, specific boogeyman, such that it’s him personally that you’re fighting, and if you can remove him, you’ve won. Al Quaeda was faceless, but bin Laden was a man. You had Gadaffi in Libya, etc., etc. The Le Mans '66 movie had to be re-titled to Ford vs Ferrari in America to make it a more personal struggle.

This is reflected in the struggle they have to build a narrative that this, previously unheard-of by civilians, man was the source of all terrorism, and that, childishly, removing him is supposed to have ended terrorism. Trump had the same problem in presenting the killing of the ‘leader of ISIS’ as a triumph. Quick - does anyone remember his name without looking it up?

26 Likes

Ok, they are lying to cover up the lies to justify the actions.

48 Likes

If Bill Belichick dropped dead a few hours before an important game it’s still getting played. The players know their roles, they’ve practiced them for months. There is a coaching staff in place and someone else will step in and lead the team. It’s highly unlikely the game plan would change, nor would the contest be called off.

Why the hell hasn’t anyone in the media pointed out that if imminent terrorist operations were in play Soleimani’s death offered no assurance they would not just proceed as planned? If anything it might make the team have a “Let’s win one for the Gipper” moment and redouble their efforts to execute what he’d set in motion. This isn’t talked about at all in this affair.

40 Likes

RUMSFELD: Not at all. If you think — let me take that, both pieces — the area in the south and the west and the north that coalition forces control is substantial. It happens not to be the area where weapons of mass destruction were dispersed. We know where they are. They’re in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.

16 Likes

Especially since the Pats are out of the playoffs :football:

6 Likes

Better yet. Had Dwight Eisenhower died the day before D-Day they would have called it off.

7 Likes

Fuckers are on the tube right now talking up their new sanctions and how concerned they are for the Iranian people.

7 Likes

He’s on TV right now going on about they were planning many plans against military basis, embassy, blah blah blah

He can’t even answer what imminent means, like seriously they’re full of shit.

15 Likes

Petty PompousAss, that was the CIA director, couldn’t even trot out the “we need to protect our sources and methods”?

4 Likes

EXACTLY. This is the point that I have NOT heard a reporter pose to them.

3 Likes

Mr. Trump, after the strike, told associates he was under pressure to deal with Gen. Soleimani from GOP senators he views as important supporters in his coming impeachment trial in the Senate, associates said.

Incredible. The guy is being impeached for subverting foreign policy for his personal political gain. And what is his fix for the mess he’s in? Subverting foreign policy for his personal political gain.

43 Likes