Neal Jabs Trump For Having ‘Gamed Tax Code To His Advantage’ After NYT Report | Talking Points Memo

Screw you Neal!!

I can’t believe you won reelection. You could have subpoenaed dumpf’s tax records post haste or, at least, quietly obtained them from NY state.

Once the records were in the public sphere dumpf wouldn’t have be able to do sh*t!! Plus the records could have been read into the Congressional Record, à la Mike Gravel and Mark Udall, and be protected by the speech and debate clause.

3 Likes

Neal is a disgrace and a fraud. He was literally given the key to Drumpf’s tax returns by the NY legislature and he’s refused to go after the returns. He’s another pathetic fighter in a long line of timid, compromised and entirely “establishment” Dems who prize above all proving how bipartisan they can be. This, all the while McConnell and the brazenly hypocritical GOP beat the living hell out of Dems over and over and over with things like this SCOTUS vote. Neal should resign for malpractice.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to have to say it, but in FAR too many ways Richie Neal has been a waste of space in a position where he can and could have made a VERY substantial and substantive difference. For example, by demanding that Judge Trevor McFadden, who has been hearing several of the cases, should have recused himself by virtue of being a proven tool of Benedict Donald, by having the House lawyers file a motion with the Supreme Court to dismiss the Trump administration appeals against turning over Traitor Chump’s taxes on the basis of not just of unclean hands, but filthy hands, just as soon as the IRS made no hesitation at all at turning over Hunter Biden’s filings to Russia Ron Johnson’s witch hunt committee, without any justification, even though it has no relevant jurisdiction, let alone a law specifically requiring that the IRS turn stuff over to Ways & Means. Etc.

3 Likes

Systemic racism is everywhere.

Every single one of the 10 counties with the highest rates of Internal Revenue Service tax audits are overwhelmingly black. The 10 counties where the IRS audits the least are disproportionately white, with very few black residents.

Sometimes, there is no need to beat around the bush.

According to a new report from TaxNotes by former IRS economist Kim M. Bloomquist, and subsequent reporting by ProPublica, the IRS rarely targets wealthy people for audits. But when The Root looked at ProPublica’s mapping data and compared them with Census data and Bloomquist’s findings, we found that the bias wasn’t just geographical or income-based. Instead, we found that the government agency focuses its scrutiny of poor, disproportionately black areas, mainly in the “black belt”—the area in the Southern states where the African-American population is high and income is low.

For instance, the residents of Lowndes County, Ala.—a place United Nations officials said had “third-world poverty”—has one of the highest audit rates in the country—about 10.1 audits for every 1,000 filings. (The U.S. average is about 7.7 per 1,000, according to ProPublica’s research). Lowndes County is 74 percent black, the median income is $27,914, and nearly one out of every three Lowndes County resident lives in poverty.

On the other side of the coin, Anne Arundel County in Maryland is one of the most affluent counties in America. Its median income is $96,483 per year—more than triple that of Lowndes County. Yet surprisingly, Anne Arundel County has one of the lowest rates of audits in the United States (7.1 per 1000).

However, the places with low audit rates aren’t marked by wealth. Some of the most diverse, wealthiest counties in America (Arlington, Va., and Howard County, Md., for instance) are typified by normal audit rates. It is only when you factor in poverty and race that you get the high audit rates. Nearly every place where there are pockets of black poverty has become an IRS target for audits. In fact, when The Root did a county-by-county mapping of the non-white population, it was stunning how closely it resembles the places where the IRS audits more.

5 Likes

This woman just earned the kind of salary Parscale stole…

5 Likes

This makes no sense at all! People living in poverty don’t pay taxes because they don’t make enough. This is insane!

2 Likes

They go after these folks for claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit meant for low income taxpayers. It’s just easier to audit them instead of the real tax cheats. That’s what a Republican induced, fiscally strapped department like the IRS has devolved into. Persecute the poor and leave the rich alone.

2 Likes

How could they possibly make enough in late fees and unpaid taxes to justify the expense of only going after these people? I did not have any idea that this was the way it went these days and I am appalled.

3 Likes

Of course facts do not support this hyperbolic fantasy version of events.

1 Like

When warned that the President’s slimy,
Bill Barr started efforts to stymie,
Every criminal probe,
Across the whole globe.
And that’s why the President’s still crimy.

1 Like

The more I reflect today on the manner in which Congressman Neal has chosen at this moment to characterize Trump’s wholesale avoidance of payment of his rightful federal tax obligations, the more angry I become. The fact that Neal is supposedly on the side of protecting people like me from the harmful consequences of people like Trump is exactly why people like me have been so completely and utterly screwed for… well, forever. If this is all Neal has to say today, he most certainly should just shut the hell up, Neal has let us all down, far more than has any other single Democratic leader in terms of attempting oversight on the lawless thug Trump. And Neal was in the single best position to have taken meaningful steps to conduct meaningful oversight, had he merely lifted a finger to do so. I have seen and heard enough from Neal to last a lifetime, and respectfully suggest that he continue his de facto retirement from Congress in actual retirement. With leaders like him, …<shaking my head in disgust, muttering to myself dejectedly>.

3 Likes

Stop saying that Skanky Turdface “gamed” the law. He lied, cheated and committed crimes.

He paid Iwanka $700K year presumably for being a loving daughter to create fake losses. Every American citizen, every corporation, every nanobot and software app should have the same tax opportunities. Every American should set up a business, a corporation, a farm, a real estate company, a charity, a church and have ponies for tax purposes.

1 Like

It is far safer to cheat and steal on your taxes like Skanky Turdface did. Not paying taxes is not a good idea.

At least the headline didn’t say “take away”. I hate that expression.
Can we imagine how many dollars were spent by lobbyists ginning the tax code to make it acceptable to Trump and his like.

Rep Neal needs to go. Hopefully, next time, he can be successfully replaced.

2 Likes

Trump needs to go to jail for his crimes, it’s not like he cheated on his taxes like everyone else does, to get another 6 bucks on your refund, no, he has stolen millions from the American People. And his family needs to go to jail too, because they are absolutely complicit in those crimes and their coverup.

His bones should stay in jail for 500 years in Leavenworth, in a little box in the latrine somewhere, so the residents can shower him with their affections.

Poor people are cheap to go after for something like that. Either they have the documents to prove their EITC claim (and know their rights) or they don’t. If they do, audit resolves in their favor, if not, against them. Maybe a few hours work (or less) for a few grand “recovered”. The poor people can’t afford an accountant or a tax preparer to go down and argue things in person. And if you’re grading completely on cost-effectiveness (with a side of racism) rather than on the value of occasionally putting the fear of god into rich evaders, it’s an easy management decision to make.

1 Like

Agreed - most people out there do not understand that banks can make loans using other people’s money, which is your point and needs to be understood and emphasized by any writing on this issue. In other words, DB could make the loan on behalf of Russia (or a Russian oligarch or entity) with Russia taking all the risks of non-payment by Trump. DB makes a fee for making the loan on behalf of Russia. Also possible for DB to make a loan to Trump, with a guarantee of repayment by Russia. So, the name of the lender does not tell the entire story.

3 Likes

Deducting “consulting fees” paid to family members who are already employees of the company paying those fees and claiming the deduction IS criminal tax fraud. This isn’t some grey area. It is clearly tax fraud. If DJT, as owner of said company, signed the tax forms that document the deduction, then he is also a total idiot.

Under some carefully limited circumstances, it can be not quite fraud, I think. If someone has a legit outside business that they run in addition to being an employee/officer, then it can be legal to hire that legit outside business to do work for the company.

But in an audit you’d have to prove that it was a legit business and an arm’s length transaction.

(You can all stop laughing now)

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available