Mulvaney Outlandishly Accuses Media Of Covering Coronavirus Threat To Hurt Trump

Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney on Friday made the outlandish claim that the media was trying to damage President Donald Trump politically with its coverage of the deadly coronavirus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1293823

They are desperate and afraid.

56 Likes

Waterloo

13 Likes

Hopefully everybody there will heed his advise and turn of their TV, so when there is an outbreak in their neighborhood they will be oblivious

10 Likes

Old Navy saying: "When there’s trouble on the deck, look to the bridge."

31 Likes

Panicked is a better term.

When incompetent people panic, all they are capable of doing is “searching for a scapegoat” so that it is “not THEIR fault.”

Trump is HOWLING at Mulvaney because of the crashing Stock Market, and Mulvaney is panicking.

I expect heads to begin to roll in the White House next week as Trump begins blaming “everybody but himself” for his ENTIRE Administration’s moronic, navel-gazing response to a Global Health Crisis.

42 Likes

Au contraire mon petit pomme de cheval. What I’ve seen is the media normalizing the Orange Shitpossum, that is our president, by editing and bowdlerizing his speeches and pressers so that they seem like those of a sane man.

47 Likes

I’ll agree with that.

4 Likes

Ironically, it’s stuff like this that’s fueling the market drop - investors want assurances that things are under control, and wild ranting along with placing politics ahead of effective communications and disease response is the exact opposite.

40 Likes

Mick the Dick is still alive? Huh. Who knew?

Oh well. His time observing the next bus’s oil pan is nigh.

7 Likes

“When you look at the severity of diseases, one of the ways you can look at it is by looking at the percentage of people who get it who die,” he told the audience. “I know that’s sort of hard-hearted, but that’s how we look at certain-that’s probably how you would look at it. If I get a cold, am I gonna die? No? Okay.”

COVID-19 is estimated to kill about 10% of those over the age of 70 who contract it.

ETA: Maybe Trump would take this more seriously if somebody told him that it’s a disproportionate risk to his electoral base.

36 Likes

There are some really fucking stupid people in Trump’s Orbit, but Mick Mulvaney makes Ivanka and Jerred look like Nobel Prize winners in comparison. Beyond bigotry, anger and ideology, there is not a lot going on in Micks head.

13 Likes

Sorry Nick down here on the ground,co worker had complained about their 401 K being hit as have one of our posters here.The emperor has no clothes on this issue.

6 Likes

I am reminded of the classic “Mirror Universe” Star Trek episode when Kirk asks Spock: “How did you know they were not us?” and Spock responds: “It was far easier for you, as civilized men, to act as barbarians, than for them as barbarians to act as civilized men.”
The same principle applies here; “It is far easier for you, as competent politicians to act as ignorant fools, than for the ignorant fools to act as competent politicians.”

32 Likes

STOP LYING!
Instead, Deal with it…
IT being the TRUTH!

3 Likes

As with all republicans
No empathy or concern until someone in the family gets sick
Soon come
Soon come

8 Likes

The usual from Mr. Mulvaney…what an unmitigated fool and tool!

1 Like

Sure, Mick. Just keep managing those perceptions. Of course it’s a challenge because the death rate here is 20 times the damn flu. You might as well tell people worried about getting hit by cars that people fall in the shower all the time, and mostly they don’t die, it’s essentially the same, OK? It’s all blunt-force trauma, sheesh, people, chill out. Really, let’s change the subject. Say, how’s the market doing?

32%20AM

23 Likes

If the Oval Trailer thinks media coverage is bad now, they ain’t seen nothing yet.

16 Likes

−798.41

10 Likes