Mnuchin Predicts America Will Be ‘Open For Business’ In May

Not an outrageous prediction given that in CA we hunkered down in the beginning of March, 76 days out will take us to late May / Early June. Why 76? That’s how long Wuhan was locked down.

But.

This is absolutely the wrong message to be sending, the emphasis must remain fighting contagion and remaining locked down.

Worse yet.

I fear there is a real risk of this thing coming back because various states are ignoring it, so states that did the right thing early will be exposed to contagion by states that did nothing and will reach mortality peaks in the Summer. July? August? I don’t know I’m not an epidemiologist.

17 Likes

I think the song In the Good Old Summertime will need to be rewritten for 2020. I’m not up to the task but I think we have some potential lyricists here.

5 Likes

And the coming botch job with getting dollars into the hands of those that need it. August is not getting the funds to people in even close to a timely manner.

9 Likes

Ha, Mnuchin and Cramer; two idiots who know absolutely nothing about the realities of business. I would sooner take financial advice from a drooling baby than listen to these men.

8 Likes

And Covidiot Trump wants the funeral business reopened sooner than Mnuchin!

9 Likes

Easier to grift, that and easier to transfer what little remaining to the .01%.

4 Likes

Hey Mnuchin, shut the fuck up about stuff you know nothing about…well I guess that’s pretty much everything, but hey that’s the way it is. Go take some more stupid pictures with your trophy wife maybe.

3 Likes

I hear Mnuchin has stock in Crystal Balls Are Us and that he’s a viral disease expert on the side. He’s covered all his bases.

5 Likes

A more current suggestion?

11 Likes

And it’s pretty goddamned obvious—reelection and maintaining power and continued grifting. Why doesn’t someone just tell him they’ll drop the NY charges against him - and then don’t. Surprise.

10 Likes

I hope he is right…but seems optimistic. The first real clue may come in 14 days in Wisconsin. Thousands of people voted in-person…if there is a large surge in COVID cases…then kiss June goodbye as well.

4 Likes

But Pence is the moderate guy and reasonable?

New York (CNN Business)Vice President Mike Pence’s office has declined to allow the nation’s top health officials to appear on CNN in recent days and discuss the coronavirus pandemic killing thousands of Americans, in an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House’s lengthy daily briefings in full.

Trump makes 86 false claims over two weeks, including whoppers about Bloomberg, Pelosi and Social Security

Trump makes 86 false claims over two weeks, including whoppers about Bloomberg, Pelosi and Social Security

Pence’s office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it will only allow experts such as Dr. Deborah Birx or Dr. Anthony Fauci to appear on CNN if the network televises the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.

8 Likes

Many people don’t know this about Mnuchin, but he actually does have some expertise in microbiology. In high school, he won a prize at the Intel International Science fair with a project on C. elegans life extension using antioxidants. So, though he later switched to a very distinguished career in banking (with detours into film production), he does have some of the relevant background to be making these evaluations. I think his judgment is quite sound.

Unless we can do testing, testing, testing. Works for other countries. But US, never happened and never will.

9 Likes

“I think as soon as the President feels comfortable with the medical issues, we are making everything necessary that American companies and American workers can be open for business, and that they have the liquidity they need to operate their business in the interim,” he continued.

Dr. Dotard will “feel comfortable” and lead Amuricans to their slaughter.

3 Likes

The Feds have announced that they are stopping public testing and are expecting the states to carry it out.

6 Likes

Fortunately, “Open for business” is a completely meaningless phrase, and victory can be declared without anything concrete actually occurring.

8 Likes

OT but good for context:

4 Likes

Pretty much every credible voice says you need a massive testing regime in place, both of disease and antibodies, before you can even think of starting the process of loosening the restrictions on economic activity. Given the incompetent nature of the federal response thus far, it seems such measures will be in place later rather than sooner.

6 Likes

I’m not going anywhere until I get vaccinated.

6 Likes