Minneapolis Police Station Torched As Protests Rage Overnight

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Cheering protesters torched a Minneapolis police station that the department abandoned as three days of violent protests spread to nearby St. Paul and angry demonstrations flared across the U.S over the death of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who pleaded for air as a white police officer kneeled on his neck.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1311426

Looks like it’s going to be a long, hot summer.

12 Likes

The volatile situation in Minneapolis (and across the nation) is not being helped by the ‘inciter-in-chief’ with his inflammatory tweets. It’s almost as if he and his fascist cult members actually want to see this country torn apart.

16 Likes

And they don’t mind helping it along a little bit.

9 Likes

There is no question in my mind about that.

6 Likes

But her emails…

5 Likes

It could have been avoided if the cops had just been thrown to jail right away like every other thug caught on video committing a crime. Those month long “investigations” can be performed just as well with the perps locked up, the Union can post their bails if they want to.

16 Likes

Got a bit repeated in there, TPM.

4 Likes

If they don’t charge and arrest these assholes by this afternoon the country is going to explode over the weekend. Justice delayed and all that.

6 Likes

Man gives counterfeit bill to grocery and “isn’t acting right”. Send out 4 cops to deal with this. Really?
Man arrested, handcuffed and killed because he possibly gave a counterfeit bill in grocery.
This is just sickening.

10 Likes

I’m sorry but a reporter demanding ‘what’s the plan here’ is helpful? Really?

2 Likes

I feel a bit conflicted about the looting and violent protests. In general violence is unacceptable and it hurts innocent parties like the store owners whose businesses have been torched. But at the same time something has to be done about police violence in this country. About 1000 people are killed by police every year, which is insanely high by international standards. How can people change this?

3 Likes

Trump is always on the wrong side of things.
Like Now.

5 Likes

Yep. A thinly-veiled dogwhistle and completely irresponsible.

3 Likes

Peaceful protest is more effective.

MLK and Ghandi have shown this. “Burnin’ and lootin’” gives the powers that be more than enough cover for their gestapo tactics (like infringing on 1st amendment rights of reporters).

While the images of burning buildings may seem horrific in the moment, those store owners are insured and the precinct can be rebuilt. Not so much the 1000 lives that can’t be replaced or repaired. The same goes for the damage done to the fragile state of race relations in the US.

People can change this, slowly, over time, with their ballots and by treating these tragedies with the same reverence they had for the victims of 9/11.

The arc of the moral universe can be excruciatingly slow on human timescales, but it will bend toward justice, if we do our part.

5 Likes

You know, maaaaaybe next time Biden is asked why should black people support him he (and Dem leadership) could finally step up and address the abuse the black community have suffered at the hand of law enforcement and come up with real criminal justice and policing reforms.

Or Dems can continue to avoid confronting police unions or making centrist white voters slightly uncomfortable and we can let this wound continue to fester in our country.

They do. A short thread.

1/ Since y'all are all too young to remember this, and since I was only 5 at the time, there's some ancient history here to be considered.

In the 1968 race, Roger Ailes told Nixon -- I'd have to look it up as to the exact date -- to pivot from Vietnam to the post-King riots.

— Rick Wilson (@TheRickWilson) May 29, 2020

Cc @jmacaz @mondfledermaus @LeeHarveyGriswold

4 Likes

6 Likes

Take a close look at all of the protests yesterday that turned violent, and when they did.

They were all basically peaceful until the cops took actions to make them not-- ordering crowds to disperse.

Had the cops just sat on the sidelines and waited, there wouldn’t be a problem. Violence begets violence, and since the protesters can’t exactly run around shooting rubber bullets and tear gas at the police, they take it out on infrastructure, vehicles and other things.

9 Likes

I’m getting flashbacks to the multiple riots in the 60’s and 70’s. There is other civil unrest coming when all the evictions start and people no longer have a roof over their heads in addition to no job, no money, no food. We are in for a scary time this summer.

9 Likes