McConnell Says Focus Should Be On ‘Safe Inauguration’ Before Biden Takes Office | Talking Points Memo

Minutes after the House made history and voted to impeach President Trump for the second time, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Wednesday urged that the Senate’s focus during last week of Trump’s presidency should be on “a safe inauguration” for President-elect Joe Biden, following the deadly insurrection at the Capitol that President Trump incited.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354529
1 Like

Oh Mitch, you’re nothing if not predictably calculating and cynical.

25 Likes

Once again, I really hope Dems take note this time. Republicans will argue in bad faith, and will do whatever they can to obstruct and hurt Dems even at the cost of the country to increase their chances of taking power, act accordingly.

15 Likes

Mitch covers up more than Revlon, Clinique and L’Oreal combined.

7 Likes

Here’s what I think Dems should do: Promise a bunch of Republicans something in exchange for their guilty vote in the impeachment trial. Then just don’t deliver on those promises later and if the Republicans whine, tell them to f— off, they should have convicted the first time around…Maybe give Romney something because he actually did vote to convict the first time around (on 1 count as I recall), but Collins, Murkowski, Toomey, etc., f— 'em all.

6 Likes

2 Likes

I hate to give credit to Mitch but I believe he is gaming this right for the best chance of safety through the inauguration.

Yesterday Trump started spouting off again. A short time later, word gets out that McConnell may vote in favor of impeachment. Today Trump sends out a message urging no violence.

Trump does not want to be convicted. That leaves Mitch in a position of power to demand that Trump get his act together or face removal. I fully believe that at this moment, Mitch is keeping Trump in check. Whether it lasts though is another question.

10 Likes

Mitch has ALWAYS been in that position, and it hasn’t made much of a difference.

1 Like

America ought not negotiate with terrorists, even in bad faith.

10 Likes

Amazing how getting your ca$h $pigot cut off, make$ you $ee the light.

9 Likes

McConnell swatted down the idea of a Senate trial happening before Biden’s inauguration next week.

So conciliatory as he’s sinking below the water.

6 Likes

Yertle goes rouge…

6 Likes

Not really. Mitch is trying to save his party. Trump is still quite able to wreak havoc.

7 Likes

“In light of this reality, I believe it will best serve our nation if Congress and the executive branch spend the next seven days completely focused on facilitating a safe inauguration and an orderly transfer of power to the incoming Biden Administration,”

And by that he means Congress goes on break, and the executive branch remain controlled by the guy threatening a safe inauguration and preventing an orderly transfer of power.

8 Likes

I don’t care if it doesn’t happen this week but if it happens after Biden’s in office and the criminal is gone it might seem less intimidating for the spineless to vote to convict. I’m holding out some hope in a time that seems devoid of hope.

5 Likes

“The election has not necessarily gone in the favor of the GOP.” - Mitch McConnell.

(Paraphrasing Emperor Hirohito announcing Japan’s surrender after two atomic bombs.)

5 Likes

" On Tuesday, the New York Times reported that McConnell and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) warmed up to the idea of punishing Trump for his actions leading up to the deadly insurrection at the Capitol"

“And even after the deadly violence at the Capitol last week, McCarthy joined a majority of his House GOP colleagues to reject the Electoral College votes from Arizona and Pennsylvania.”

Oh I thought,never mind.

6 Likes

M&M got hit,Mitch and Mike.

1 Like

Mitch as always seems like he’s in no hurry. I mean, it’s not like he’s trying to confirm a Supreme Court Nominee, like Amy Barrett who took only 4 days, well before RBG’s body was cold.

9 Likes