McCarthy To Meet With Trump After Working To Get Back In His Good Graces

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) will meet with former President Donald Trump in Florida Thursday after seemingly angling to get back in the former president’s good books.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1357125
1 Like

Let the sucking up commence!

13 Likes

The Republican Party is now officially the Fascist Donald Trump Party, and we are in serious danger if the country and all its institutions don’t accept that soon.

11 Likes

I have this perhaps quixotic idea that you don’t have to crawl to get enough money and status to at least be respectable. In fact not crawling is a big part of being respectable, the way I’ve heard. McCarthy obviously feels otherwise.

18 Likes

Second impeachments are an opportunity to make that case.

7 Likes

The biggest news in the GOP is the weakness of Mitch McConnell. No one in the GOP is turning to him as the leader of the GOP. They’re turning to Trump, the disgraced, twice impeached former POTUS who is likely facing multiple legal problems.

Since the Electoral College vote on 12/14/20, McConnell got owned on the stimulus bill by Trump and the Dems. His side lost the 2 GA Senate races. He got owned by Hawley and Cruz who were clearly conspiring with the Trump campaign and right wing white nationalists to disrupt the 1/6 certification of the electors by Congress. He then made a brazen power grab vs Schumer and lost that fight. Now, he’s getting owned by Rand Paul on the impeachment trial. McCarthy, the guy who should be bestowing legitimacy on McConnell as the leader and North Star of the party, is instead heading to the swamp at Mar a Lago. I can’t think of anything more humiliating for McConnell. He’s going to fold like a cheap suit, but if he was truly gangsta’, he work to convict Trump.

44 Likes

Worms, all of them.

(My apologies to decent hard-working Opisthopora everywhere.)

8 Likes

Dear Republicans: Be all the Trump you can be, fellows. It makes it so much easier for us to keep getting elected.

20 Likes

Well said. This is one reason why I sort of want Trump around for the next four years. He makes them all grovel, and as soon as they grovel, no one can respect them, and they are toast. As far as national office goes, anyway.

7 Likes

Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) will meet with former President Donald Trump in Florida Thursday after seemingly angling to get back in the former president’s good books.
required equipment
sorry about all the pics. safer than the words I would have typed.
;

6 Likes

If only 76 million or so Americans agreed with,

2 Likes

10 Likes

I’m hoping Rump starts a new political party that will splinter the Republican party into perpetuity. Should we pen letters of encouragement to Agent Orange?

4 Likes

Given that his approval rating has dropped precipitously I seriously doubt that that number would vote for him again.

But whatever - 81 million agree with me.

ETA:

11 Likes

Does anyone know who is paying the plane fare?

4 Likes

Planning on speaking truth to power? I didn’t think so.

4 Likes

What a perfectly disgusting little asswipe.

5 Likes
9 Likes

You beat me to it! :slight_smile:
Ass Kissing dog

3 Likes

I did post that poll stating Trump’s approval rating had dropped to the high twenties. A day or two later, this NBC poll came out:

Sickening if you read the whole thing. His support among Republicans dropped from 89% to 87%.

8 Likes