Manchin Will Vote Yes On S.1 Debate, Giving Dems Unanimity In Face Of GOP Blockade

After keeping his own caucus in suspense for the last few days, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) announced Tuesday afternoon that he’d vote with what’s expected to be the rest of the Democratic caucus to proceed to debate on the For the People Act.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378613

Wow! Now if only that actually did anything or was in any way more than a messaging vote…

12 Likes

We’re all in Manchin’s world now.

7 Likes

Another hurdle jumped. Let the bedwetting commence.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Gee, that’s nice of him

25 Likes

With some tweaking, based on what I read I’m OK with Manchin’s modifications to S1, even the voter ID. My adjustment to that provision is that if a state requires voter ID, they must supply a valid one at no cost to any registered voter, and cannot exclude as invalid any type of licensed institution ID such as a school ID.

As for public financing of elections, I support that in S1 but it’s not critical and neither are any provisions that can be loopholed around or sidestepped.

18 Likes

“Unanimity In Face Of GOP Blockade”

Approximate worth: ZERO.

FUCK. JOE. MANCHIN.

Can’t be said enough.

4 Likes

Glad to hear Joe’s onboard with a vote that’s meaningless, given his own support of the filibuster.

Otter: “This situation absolutely requires a really futile gesture be done on somebody’s part.”

Manchin and Sinema: “And we’re just the guys to do it!”

38 Likes

Finally.

1 Like

It’ll shift.

14 Likes

I would love public financing, an end to our legalized bribery. However, I accept that we are clinging to a majority by the slimmest of margins. Any progress will be hard won.

9 Likes

But don’t worry, TPM has decided to give him the kind of headlines he’s seeking that spin it in a positive light. Oh joy, Manchin “gave us unanimity” on a vote he himself is rendering absolutely pointless in the first place.

FUCK. JOE. MANCHIN.

7 Likes

If the plan is to take baby steps as the Rs prove they wont compromise on anything then this is the next step. Hold ur water, saving democracy is sometimes hard.

18 Likes

Both Manchin and Sinema will get to yea on passing the legislation. Manchin will do it because he’s not getting reelected either way. Sinema will do it because it’s the only hope she has of surviving her next primary.

35 Likes

How the media portrays this fight is of paramount importance. AOC should pitch in by saing Manchin is GOP in sheep’s clothing, that will git on FOX.

PS, ive done the math. We cant “F” Joe Manchin. We need him.

10 Likes

Yep. I know I keep saying it, but all of this feels a lot like the ups and downs that went on before Obamacare passed and before Dems finally moved on filibuster reform. That was theater and so is this.

28 Likes

such a BOLD move to save the voting franchise

Congress should go on recess after such heavy lifting

oh, wait, you mean nothing has changed and we’re still talking about Manchin?

never mind, close the browser and get back to work

5 Likes

Prediction - Manchin and Sinema, after the GOP solid block prevents any vote on anything, will eventually agree to allow one piece of legislation (hopefully voting rights) advance absent an endless filibuster. And the voting rights bill will pass … just in time to be either struck down by the Supremes or more likely stayed as being enacted too close to the 2022 election.

1 Like

Yeah - they don’t leap into something, they step there slowly with small steps.

16 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available