Key Voter Fraud Alarmist Pushing States To Adopt Anti-Immigrant Redistricting Change | Talking Points Memo

Hans von Spakovsky — a former member of President Trump’s voter fraud commission known over overhyping claims of mass voter fraud — is encouraging states to move forward with an anti-immigrant, GOP-friendly redistricting overhaul, using citizenship data the Census Bureau is planning to produce.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1243462
1 Like

Why is a Prussian advising the GOP on voting issues?

6 Likes

Has Hans von Spakovsky, of definitively punchable face fame, had a cockroach named after him yet, @ralph_vonholst?

14 Likes

How about including some thinking by a constitutional scholar or two?

12 Likes

“…Hans von Spakovsky…”

Doesn’t this Gruppenführer have a face to melt, or something?

19 Likes

He’s a bad actor, serial lliar*, and hater of the Constitution. Who, exactly, pays his salary? Let’s find out and shame them. Hans is unshameable, of course.

• was born in AL in the 1950s and is on record saying that he was unaware of any racial animosities or troubles there during his formative years.
21 Likes

"Rigged Elections Are US"
—GOP

6 Likes

I just can’t believe that “Hans van Spakovsky” isn’t the name of some asshole Gruppenfuehrer in a WWII prison-camp-breakout movie.

12 Likes

Dear Supreme Court,

WTF??

6 Likes

9 Likes

Do not even count people with foreign sounding names … like Hans von Spakovsky.

10 Likes

I think it was the name of a character in The Sound of Muzak

7 Likes

Was this ALEC meeting held in public? Were reporters allowed? Usually they’ve tried to keep their nefarious activities hidden.

6 Likes

“We’re here at ALEC, talking to this convenient serial bullsh!tter who has made a career of lying about things Republicans want to believe. Hans, tell us, what’s new in the world of making a ton of money as an expert in invented nonsense?”

9 Likes

No surprise there since the 5-4 decision of the SC says:
“political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts”

Addendum:

While the US SC has just ruled that it is the states’ role in awarding electoral votes, there is controversy over the electoral vote distribution and if the population should determine the number of electoral votes or the number of citizen/voters only.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-07-01/independent-commissions-could-fix-redistricting

To adhere to a standard of “one person, one vote,” the Supreme Court requires each congressional district to contain a roughly equal number of people. The court has also ruled that gerrymandering legislative maps to dilute the power of racial minorities is unlawful.

The one person one vote comes up in the context of the Equal Protection Clause, which requires substantially equal legislative representation for all citizens in a State regardless of where they reside.
The most relevant Supreme Court case is Reynolds v. Sims , 377 U.S. 533 (1964)

In Evenwel v. Abbott, 578 U.S. __ (2016), the Supreme Court held that when drawing legislative districts, state legislatures may use the total population of areas within the state, rather than being restricted to using the voting-eligible populations.

Note that there are states with

1. Independent redistricting commissions:
    Arizona
    California
    Colorado
    Michigan

2. Advisory redistricting commissions:
    Connecticut
    Iowa
    Maine (Legislative districts only)
    New York
    Utah
    Vermont (Legislative districts only)

3 Likes

I think he narrowly wins out over James O’Keefe and Stephen Miller.
Which is quite an accomplishment.

4 Likes

With this ruling, shouldn’t states that choose a nonpartisan group to determine their districts NEVER be challenged again?

4 Likes

Isn’t a congressperson’s responsibility to represent all the people in their district, whether they are citizens, green card or visa holders, or even undocumented?

If we follow Von Spakovskys’s thinking that districts should be proportioned according to citizens because only citizens can vote, then perhaps we should take it a step further and divide districts according to actual voters. And that wouldn’t make sense.

Citizens and legal residents share almost all of the same rights in America with the exception of voting or holding certain offices. And they pay all of the same taxes. No reason they shouldn’t be counted in proportionment.

11 Likes

LOL, I hope that is a rhetorical question.

If you want to really hurt me, just make me share a table with him, Gorka, and Steven Miller for 5 minutes. I’ll give you anything you want to avoid that pain.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available