Judge Says He’s Leaning Towards Abortion Drug Maker As West Virginia Tries To Toss Lawsuit

A federal judge said during a Monday hearing that he’s leaning towards ruling in favor of a company that makes generic mifepristone in its quest to prove it has standing to sue over West Virginia’s abortion ban. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1456033
1 Like

“Lawsuit on ice”
We just need some Mifepristone antifreeze.

12 Likes

Hmmmm…Clinton Appointee

13 Likes

If the docs in TX have standing because one day they might have to treat someone who had the rare bad reaction from the medicine, then the actual maker of the drug has standing where sale of the medicine is potentially outlawed. The judge should hoist WVa on the Kacsmaryk petard.

38 Likes

This is a banner year for 1L law students who need a crash course in standing.

speculative economic damage

The economic damage is real. Mifepristone is available for reasons other than an abortion. I like where this judge’s thinking is headed.

26 Likes

Though it’s somewhat self-defeating to use the decision that we believe is completely erroneous. Using Kacsmaryk’s poorly* reasoned decision would help validate the reasoning.

* to put it mildly

15 Likes

What a world.

Meanwhile, President Biden returns from an emotional trip to Ireland, the place his Catholic ancestors left in search of freedom and opportunity in America.

Abortion is legal in Ireland.

38 Likes

It is a little sad that peoples’ lives & health are less important than economic damage. But that is how our civil law goes. I’ll take any win we can get.

20 Likes

They don’t, so it’s probably best not to embrace that dumb opinion.

16 Likes

I think that @CaptainDunsel was being ironically sarcastic.

The judge should hoist WVa on the Kacsmaryk petard.

That sentence swayed my interpretation.

8 Likes

Just to clarify, you are being sarcastic about Kasmaryk, right?

7 Likes

You know it’s been a very long time since Americans could watch someone(s) be hoisted by their own petard. If we don’t get an example of that then the phrase loses it’s relevancy for the young ones.

7 Likes

Seriously! Kacsmaryk should be radioactive right now. He must know that people are watching every time he scratches an itch. Withholding prior publications, personal financial information, interviews, everything a person in high office should do – he has not done. Like Trump, this guy deserves to be impeached and removed by the Senate. I will never hold my breath for that to happen. But, dude! C’mon! How compromised and rogue can a judge be without attracting a comeuppance?

23 Likes

My aunt, who was neither Catholic nor Irish, lived in a predominantly Irish neighborhood. She always complained that her Irish neighbors were “more Catholic than the pope.”

7 Likes

Very. He’s a judge.

12 Likes

Way off topic, but the cop who shot and killed Breonna Taylor and was fired has now been hired by neighboring county’s PD. Chief Deputy PD officer
said:

“We think he will help reduce the flow of drugs in our area and reduce property crimes,” Miller said. “We felt like he was a good candidate to help us in our county.”

Well sure, he’ll fire first, and ask questions later.

16 Likes

Kentucky does it again.

5 Likes

I cannot possibly imagine how little he must care.

He’s making his bonafides for a good run at the next open SCOTUS seat under a GQP president.

He does not care what ANYone else thinks.

6 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking.

The West Virginia case appears more grounded in potential reality than the Texas plaintiffs.

The West Virginia officials are trying to get the case dismissed, arguing that the company is rooting its argument in claims about speculative economic damage

3 Likes