Judge Rules Alaska GOPer Is Likely Barred From Office For Being An Oath Keeper

Kazakh’s tell Trumpy Russians to GTFO. Greatness.

2 Likes

And how much of that was done by White Supremacists looking to fuck things up?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/29/umbrella-man-white-supremacist-minneapolis/

2 Likes

The problem is that all the larger Blue states have signed on, now you’re trying to get enough of the smaller Red states (who would clearly lose power and influence once it’s passed) to join in. I think the only thing that’s going to save this country will be if enough Blue state retirees move to places like Wyoming (which currently has fewer voters than my former county in California) and establish residency long enough to swap things around. It would only take a few hundred thousand here and few more there to make this happen, so it’s theoretically possibly, although I can imagine the Rednecks would go non-linear if their trailer parks started filling up with “those others”.

And until then… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

And one whose name is so hard to spell! :laughing:

3 Likes

Though if young professionals start moving to those areas in droves, they’re probably going to bring enough money to the area to start getting more suburban residences built to replace/displace the trailer parks, as opposed to adding to them.

I know you said retirees, but if they were once young professionals, would they settle for trailer parks?

2 Likes

Yup, and this is why I hope the work from home thing doesn’t fade away - it could well make these remote statelettes quite attractive to such folks…

4 Likes

The company I work for has completely embraced it and we don’t have a formal “HQ” anymore. And since then, we’ve been really expanding our workforce to all parts of the country (and the world, though still primarily in the Western hemisphere).

Though you still need good Internet access wherever you choose to put down your roots for this to work.

5 Likes

Arizona is going back to Territorial law.

Ruling was by the “Honorable” Kellie Johnson of the Pima County Superior Court. She was appointed by Doug Douchey in 2017 and unfortunately isn’t up for a retention vote until 2024.

Fortunately, her name is memorable since it echos that of the famous Kelly Johnson. Will be working to get her kicked out come 2024.

7 Likes

Not playing that dumb game, thanks for offering.

1 Like

A little more depth.

7 Likes

My Dad was working in the outback of Argentina and Mom was there with him. I was conceived and they discussed whether Mom should return to the States near the end of her pregnancy. If I had been born a male in Argentina I would have been required to join the Argentinian military no matter where I lived when I came of age (we lived in the US). They decided that Mom needed to return to the States before her due date. I was born in lower Michigan where Mom’s sister & husband lived. If they had known I was a girl Mom wouldn’t have had to return to the US to give birth.

11 Likes

A friend of mine who grew up in LA was called for compulsory military service in Argentina after the finished his bachelors at UCLA in the late 1970s. Fortunately, his folks had an apartment in BA, so he didn’t have to stay in the barracks, and he was able to do some anthropological work in Misiones province that became the basis of his masters. Although the service was long (18 mo.?), he missed the Falklands/Malvinas war in 1982.

6 Likes

Russian soldiers in Kherson are getting the classic “If you advance you’ll probably die, but if you retreat you’ll definitely die” treatment. Not great options.

The officials said that Mr. Putin’s rejection of a military pullback from Kherson has also led to a decrease in morale among Russian troops who have been mostly cut off from their supply lines, and who appear to believe they could be left stranded against Ukrainian forces.

4 Likes

Kherson is where water is diverted from the Dnipro to Crimea. It would be a serious defeat for Putin to lose Kherson.

6 Likes

We do “get to have opinions” but we don’t get to insurect or conspire to overthrow the government by violent means. There’s a momentum in the anti-government movements across the USA that’s a recent thing. This guy supports that momentum and has done more than just talk about it. He was there when it gave its wet dream a shot.

The warnings are there. Take a hands off approach and you’ll have their hands around your throat.

5 Likes

Your opinion is very sensible, but this particular dipshit representative is not accused of having done the insurrection or conspired to overturn the government by violent means. If there were evidence that he had done so, I’d be the first to call for him to be strung up from the nearest lamp post.

(JK, those would be 4-6 year offenses.)

3 Likes

“Hang Mike Pence! Hang Mike Pence!” Hey, I didn’t put the rope around his neck, I just said some words.

2 Likes

OT: anyone who has ever heard him perform live knows he was a pure spirit. I saw him when he was about 70 years old but his power was all there to blow his horn. His most recent collaboration was with British electronic music wizard, Floating Points and the London Symphony. He always moved forward.

Excerpt

“He died peacefully surrounded by loving family and friends in Los Angeles earlier this morning. Always and forever the most beautiful human being, may he rest in peace.”

5 Likes

See “Battle for Stalingrad, German 6th Army” Not quite that bad…yet.

On November 23, 1942, the two Red Army pincers met at Kalach, west of Stalingrad. German General Friedrich Paulus’s 6th Army was trapped. But Hitler refused to let the 300,000 exhausted soldiers retreat. “They were caught there in absolute hell, in the cold, completely unprovided for,” Kersaudy said. “The Germans tried to supply them via land routes from the south and even by plane, but it didn’t work.”

5 Likes

I try to think with my head, rather than my gut.

The last time we had this sort of thing happen was when the Communist Party was banned about 70 years ago (Communist Control Act of 1954), which was part and parcel of the McCarthy era. In fact, the provision of the Alaska Constitution in question is undoubtedly a remnant of that era: the Alaska Constitution was written in 1956.

While there is a certain delicious irony in a Reich winger being caught in nutcracker intended to disqualify the leftists, when I consider the after effects of that era (HUAC, black-listing, etc.) the price of the schadenfreude is too high. We don’t permit bills of attainder–we don’t sanction guilt by association. If this schmuck has done or said anything in support of the Oath Keepers’ campaign against the United States, throw him out.

His constituents should certainly question him and his associations closely in this light, but it has to be on them to throw him out if he hasn’t acted in support of the insurrectionists.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available