Judge Dismisses Suit Against Tucker Carlson By Citing His ‘Rhetorical Hyperbole’

Correct. The “real crime” is passing it off as news.

4 Likes

All of these asshole’s shows should have a warning at the beginning: “What you are about to watch has been adjudicated as ‘rhetorical hyperbole’ and is only intended to misinform and inflame the weak-minded. If you feel the need to represent anything you see here as fact, turn off your TV and go work in the garden.”

3 Likes

“Given Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer ‘arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism’”

Technically, this is true. Any reasonable (actually, I’d have said rational) bier knows Carlson is a fascist liar. The problem is that the vast majority of his viewers aren’t reasonable (or rational) and Carlson goes out of his way - I’d say it’s his primary motivation - to keep them that way.

But I guess as long as his lies are rhetorical enough (:joy:), he can lie about anyone he wants, no matter how badly those lies may harm someone.

3 Likes

And a seething mass of brain-stems suck in everything that is said on Fox News, with the exception of Chris Wallace. Since he does present actual news, his ratings are lower than shows like Faux & Fiends, SnakeOil Shawn Hannity, Tucker “Carnival Barker” Carlson.

This will have as much effect as Alex Jones’ admission in his child custody case that he is merely a performance artist and his tirades are just acting. No one seemed to be bothered by the fact that the guy whose opinions they waited for breathlessly is making it up out of whole cloth.

2 Likes

Fl. Case in the early 90s

2 Likes

“any reasonable viewer” - what percentage of said viewers are actually reasonable? That is one helluva rock-solid premise.

Trump appointed, Federalist Society member.

McDougle never had a chance.

Judge Hyperbole Mary is going to have a place in American Jurisprudence right next to Judge Affluenza Jean.

So, by extension, if you find someone who does believe this shit (you know ~35% of the voting population) then they are not reasonable people. And therefore can be declared mentally unfit for things like firearm ownership and driving?

1 Like

So now Tucker Carlson is a court-certified motherfucking liar.

Good to know!

1 Like

And voting!

You forgot to put in there, “by his own attorneys, in defense of what he was saying

1 Like

I love that Fox’s argument is that…
He is a liar, almost everyone knows that so you cant fault him for lying…that is his thing.

1 Like

The judge who ruled on this case, was appointed by Trump.

Karen McDougal is a Trump supporter.

oh well

1 Like

Oh, right. Sad how much use I get out of this one.

Apparently, only truthful people can be held accountable for lies. So say this is outrageously absurd would be an understatement.

1 Like

If that is the case, then how can it be logically called “Fox News”?

Shouldn’t truth in advertising be apply and its name be changed to “Fox Hyperbole”?

So Plaintiff is denied any opportunity to prove the damage to her reputation among Carlson’s actual audience?

As a factual matter as you get older it is harder to recall where you heard something. So harder to discount because it came from a source prone to lying. AKA ‘exaggerating.’

Exactly, this should be called “The Assholes immunity from Defamation rule”.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available