Judge Comments On Flight Risk, Eye-Popping Size Of Bail Package At Barrack Arraignment | Talking Points Memo

I liked all that about lanterns and steel and hottest fires. Sounds like the second-place winner in the local Rotary middle-school essay contest, “Why I’m Not Guilty.”

24 Likes

Anyone who can post a quarter of a billion for bail can hire the technical know-how to defeat a GPS transmitter.

Well, the white ones anyway…

8 Likes

I think the issue is that it doesn’t take that much effort to remove one if you want to. The disincentive to do so usually comes from the fact that the alleged perp doesn’t really have a way to escape the reach of the FBI should they try to run. But for someone like Barrack with lots of money and strong ties to (sometimes) adversarial nations, he could cut the monitor and be on a flight out of the country before anyone would be able to interdict him.

10 Likes

Herrington said. “He is innocent, and we’re going to prove it in court.”

…and we’re pretty sure it is more cost effective to buy a couple jury members to “prove” his “innocence” than it is to fork over a quarter of a billion dollars and skip to some third world shithole…

5 Likes

@schmed and @sparrowhawk provide a great summary of my thought process.

2 Likes

lame

2 Likes

Pompous ass.

3 Likes

That’s what she said…

h/t Michael Scott

5 Likes

It’s a sad day when being a conniving, venal, political hack is criminalized.

13 Likes

I’m not clear on something.

They’ve had the hearing. Is this guy a flight risk or not and, if he is, what’ve they done to ensure he doesn’t run? I saw something about sending the bond agreement to some of the private air folks, but there are thousands of them across the country - so if he uses another firm, are they also accountable if they haven’t received the bond agreement?

There’re a whole lot of people who aren’t following this story out there. Who’s to say Barrack finds the one that isn’t news savvy?

3 Likes

Leonard Pinth-Garnell:

Beginning with its opening line, Barrack Playhouse’s criminally inexcusable performance of “Bad Arraignment Theater” is deliciously bad.

From the stunningly slapdash “Tolerance, Liberty And Justice” soliloquy, to the monumentally ill-advised “Statue of Liberty” monologue.

The only thing more astonishingly awful was the appallingly ham-fisted “steel with a patina of copper forged from the hottest fire” line.

This amateur cast is so delectably inept that the entire production is sure to close by the sentencing hearing.

20 Likes

Well both his ex-wife and his son will lose their houses if he does and he loses his controlling interest in his business.

10 Likes

…just not to Tom.

I’m sure he’ll have enough remaining funds sequestered somewhere outside the country to make good on the losses. And he’ll just start another business elsewhere.

For you and me, these losses would be a disaster, of course. For him? Not so much.

4 Likes

I’d wager when your only defense is arguing about exactly who’s private jet it was you’re in deep.

Do we really think this asshole won’t get someone else to charter a flight for him?

6 Likes

Can we just skip to the part where we read about him being dead from Novichok poisoning in a non-extradition country?

6 Likes

Gotta cite for that? The article states that Barrack’s ex-wife and the latest business’ CIO offered to use their property to secure the bond, but nowhere said the judge required that.

1 Like

Ummm? Hello? You do realize this a wealthy white man we’re talking about, right? It would be one thing if he were some poor black kid who’d been accused of stealing a backpack; this is an enitely different matter: It’s a serious white collar crime, so we want to be extra, extra careful not to step on the accused criminal’s rights.

Does all this cynicism make me look cynical?

16 Likes

Small price to pay if you’re personally convinced the charges may land you in prison for a longish stint, at age 74. Cobble together a few million from secret accounts and go to a nation without an extradition treaty with the U.S.

3 Likes

You’re assuming a lot - everyone who thinks he’ll run is assuming a lot. He obviously is not that liquid since he put up the stock in his business and two houses and only 5 million in cash. We don’t know if he has money stashed somewhere, but if he does he didn’t use it for bail.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available