Judge Chutkan Fights Trump Attempt To Spin Immunity Decision As Automatic Win

Can you imagine being stuck on an endless RV roadtrip with these two?

13 Likes

Lauro then told the court that Thomas directed them to raise this issue, according to CBS News correspondent Scott MacFarlane, who said the statement seemed to catch Chutkan by surprise.

“He directed you to do it?” Chutkan asked.

Trump’s attorney backtracked, saying, “Well, he didn’t direct us to,”

‘’‘It was actually Ginni who spoke with us,’‘’ Lauro corrected, ‘’‘so it’s all good.’‘’

22 Likes

This.

11 Likes

:flushed: :nauseated_face: :scream:

4 Likes

My guess is: gasps. Gasps of shock that a lawyer would speak to a judge this way. Though why anyone would any longer be shocked at the effrontery of Trump’s lawyers is beyond me.

14 Likes

Where did you read this? Are you thinking of portions of his separate opinion that could be taken as such?

1 Like

Is “Look! Over there! A squirrel!” a legal concept?

5 Likes

Either no person is above the law, or…

2 Likes

22 Likes

Quiet part out loud violation!

The pathetic thing here is that Thomas will read that and be proud of himself.

22 Likes

The sooner this BS about presidential immunity gets changed by a new SCOTUS the better. Actually, all we need is a Democratic president to claim immunity for this SCOTUS to charge its mind.

10 Likes

One good forensic accountant could solve this in a matter of weeks.

I’m surprised the FBI wouldn’t have a bank of these folks available to follow the money.

4 Likes

“I don’t need any more rhetoric on how serious and grave this is,” she said.

Thank god she drank her… Ovaltine…

6 Likes

It shows a certainty that Lauro doesn’t intend to lose this case.

7 Likes

“It strikes me that what you’re trying to do is affect the presentation of evidence in this case so as to not impinge on the election.”

Whatever would have given the judge that idea?? As always, we live in interesting times.

4 Likes

It doesn’t seem Judge Chutkan said any of the contempt of court stuff, but everyone is so afraid of mistrial that she can’t even do that.

1 Like

Depends on who those reporters represent. I would imagine right-wing rag reporters would be doing fist-pumps at the way Lauro is man-handling the judge. It’s all exactly what they hope to see. Judge Chutkan’s response sounds to them like she’s getting worn down and just might throw out the case. Applause all around!

Wish I could say snark, but one never knows.

1 Like

In-the-mean-time, Trump wondered why the U S. didn’t have a Sovereign Wealth Fund “like other wealthy nations” . He said he wants one (his own piggy bank).

1 Like

Times like these make me crave Italian… aromatic and well seasoned, pasta probably, with meatballs, mutti tomatoes, garlic, basilico… the parm… oregano, dried but from the garden… shot of the best nuovo oil to finish… crushed red pepper… garlic bread
:spaghetti:

7 Likes

Lauro probably feels he can piss of this judge because he’s counting on finding support from SCOTUS when he appeals whatever she rules at crucial stages in the proceedings. But I wonder if the self-confident disdain for judges shown by a number of Trump’s lawyers, not just Lauro, might backfire. Justices like Roberts, Barrett, and Kavanaugh might worry just enough about the public stature of not just SCOTUS but the entire legal system to surprise lawyers who have so confidently presumed to second guess them.

13 Likes