Jayapal Pours Cold Water On Vote For Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill On Monday | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), who chairs the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said that she does not expect a vote on the bipartisan infrastructure bill to happen on Monday — the date when rebelling House moderates pushed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to bring the bipartisan bill to the floor — as moderates and progressives struggle to agree on the price tag of Democrats’ sweeping $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388648

Let’s hear it for America’s “progressive left” y’all…from deep sixing the best leg up for the poor in a century to labeling police reform “defunding” these geniuses lead the way.

9 Likes

I really don’t give a shit what Democratic Rep. Pramila Jayapal has to say, she’s becoming the flip side of Sinema. I’ll wait and see how she votes before I lose my last nerve on this whole thing. It should be the easiest vote any Democrat has ever had to make and listening to some try to screw it up over footnotes pisses me off.

8 Likes

These Democrats are not “moderates”. There is nothing moderate about sabotaging legislation supported by the vast majority of the party and the public, and reneging on a process to which they had previously agreed.
They are many things, venal and self-serving among them, but they are not “moderates”. Please stop misidentifying them.

Selah

26 Likes

Pacta sunt servanda. First principles, people.

2 Likes

Once again Dems in disarray.

1 Like

Happy to see that principles are not completely extinct in Congress, even if they’ve been outlawed in one party.

6 Likes

My mama told me that watching sausage being made would make me nauseous and she wasn’t fooling. Think I’ll take a break for awhile and see how this turns out on the other side: I’ve got a feeling it will taste just fine after cooking.

ETA: In the meantime maybe I’ll read some “Republicans in Disarray” stories to calm my nerves. There’s quite a lineup, now where to start?

Man, those Republicans are really screwed!
18 Likes

JFC people up-thread, calm the fuck down! Jayapal has a role to play, as does AOC, as do the moderates. This is rhetoric, it’s not the sausage-making.

Panic when Pelosi says to panic, and not before.

32 Likes

Exactly right. Every time I’ve ever allowed myself to get caught up in this shit, I’ve either wound up disappointed because Republicans got it through or thoroughly relieved and overjoyed because Dems got it through.

And not a moment sooner.

26 Likes

We have a large tent, unity is required. So, keep the faith baby and press on regardless.

10 Likes

And please refrain from unnecessary sawing on the tent poles. Thank you.
–The Management

17 Likes

What we’re seeing here is a $3.5 trillion game of chicken. Let’s see who blinks first.

2 Likes

They are liars. The, so called, moderates agreed to voting in tandem for the larger infrastructure reconciliation bill only as a means to move their bi-partisan bill forward. Once their bill is passed the progressives will get the shiv.

The only way to handle this in my view is to pass the infrastructure reconciliation bill FIRST and then the bipartisan bill after. Then you will see who will actually put their corporate money where their mouth is.

7 Likes

Once again, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Or is that enema?

6 Likes

“Let’s do both!”

3 Likes

Which – guess what – is what the original plan was, and everybody knew it. The two bills have always been linked.

Now we have a couple of corpShills wanting to rush the Bipartisan BandAid Bill through first. It’s like a salescritter saying HURRY HURRY YOU MUST ACT NOW LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!

Which is when my hand always moves to protect my wallet, and I start edging to the door.

9 Likes

I always referred to the two bills as “siamese twins.” They must to be passed together because separating them will result in their death.

6 Likes

Does any politician of any party care about anything anymore>
It is so fucking disgusting .
Goobers whine and bitch and filibuster everything. Then democrats whine and bitch at each other like fucking toddlers arguing over a toy. No disrespect to toddlers y’understand…
No one among the elected elite gives a shit apparently. It’s more important to say …

LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!

So, lets us just default on our debts and watch the world economy crash for once so the Goobers and democrats fucking learn a life lesson. I am so tired of this childish nonsense… If I could I would withhold paychecks from members of Congress for about 6 months so they might wake up for once.

OK, I see myself to the door…

5 Likes

Wall Street Fucking Journal.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available