Jan. 6 Panel Asks Member Of Congress For Info For The First Time | Talking Points Memo

The Jan. 6 Committee asked Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA) for information about the attack on the Capitol and the Big Lie on Monday. It’s the first time that the committee has publicly turned its investigation of the insurrection towards a sitting member of Congress.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1398878
1 Like

Has “you” lawyered up yet?

13 Likes

47 Likes

Why on earth would you start there? /s

25 Likes

I see the Committee as the Eye of Sauron.

16 Likes

I hope MTG is sweating like a whore in church.

/my dad

59 Likes

hums

53 Likes

Here we go…he’s the right person to start with, because it’s clear that he was involved and that he was trying to use the DoJ to undo an election. It’s a pretty clear case, so starting with him lays the groundwork for the other Republicans in Congress who did things that aren’t as clear. And, starting with a letter is going to upset some people, but they need to be careful with the members of Congress…if Perry refuses they can move to the next levels, eventually with subpoenas and whatever other tools are available.

And, Perry may be likely to cooperate…he may think just talking about avenues and making suggestions is protected speech and fine as long as he took no active actions. He doesn’t know everything the committee knows, so he may be arrogant enough to think he can fool them. Either way, it gets him up there talking, and that’s really the goal.

The fact that they are actually trying to get any Republicans in front of the committee says that they have a very deep well of information and are secure in the story that it tells, and that they can pin these people to the wall with their actions and aren’t afraid to do so. Otherwise, they wouldn’t touch any of them simply to avoid claims of a political witch hunt…that will still happen, so they must have the goods to ask for Perry (and whoever else) to testify on their side of the story. I really can’t wait to see how far they go up the chain now, they must be getting pretty far along at this point.

71 Likes

OT, but…

BWAHAFUCKINGHA!!!

Oh, and I hope they nail Scott Perry’s ass with a railroad spike. He is absolutely traitorous scum.

58 Likes

Jigs up, time to abscond to Mother Russia.

24 Likes

“When Mr. Clark decided to invoke his 5th Amendment rights, he understood that we planned to pose questions addressing his interactions with you, among a host of other topics,” the letter reads.

Ruh-roh, Scotty. They’ve already got the goods on you. They’re just reeling out rope to you now. Please, take as much as you want.

51 Likes

Are you implying MTG goes to church?

26 Likes

OK, that’s funny! :smile:

12 Likes

The Congressmen and women most in danger of getting into trouble are those that gave Capital tours to the insurrectionists.

My guess is they are starting with Perry because while he likely was involved and therefore knows a few things, he may not be in much legal trouble unless he lies under oath.

13 Likes

If they’re sending a fellow member of Congress a letter, even just a letter, it’s a pretty big step considering the political ramifications. It suggests to me the Committee already has Perry pretty much nailed to the wall from other sources and documents.

This coming after what Kinzinger hinted at yesterday -possible criminal charges against Trump and Republican legislators.

53 Likes

Perry introduced Trump to Jeffrey Clark, the DOJ lawyer Trump tried to have installed as Acting AG so he could send out letters to the state legislatures inviting them to send new electors.

51 Likes

So “Breach of Peace” it is!

39 Likes

Pretty sure Empty G is sweating wherever she is…

14 Likes

4 Likes

Are you suggesting people pay for that?

14 Likes