Inquiry Can’t Penetrate Trump Firewall Around His Order Freezing Ukraine Aid | Talking Points Memo

The bridge of the Titanic was never breached…

5 Likes

Is it the premise of this article that all we need is a perfect deductive proof of Boss Tweet’s misdeeds to get the Senate to convict? They aren’t going to do it no matter what. Trump could shoot Adam Schiff on Pennsylvania Ave., piss on his corpse and then post pictures on Twitter, and key republicans would be defending it. His voting base would not only admit his guilt but cheer him on. Most people know he’s guilty as sin. He’s like OJ. The skullbuggery the Senate pulled to get Bart O’Kavinaugh on the SC will be nothing compared to what is coming. I would be glad to be wrong, but our shot at removing Trump is at the polls.

11 Likes

Good catch. There is smoke and underneath that, fire. DB may be the crack in the case to prove the financial crimes.

I had never heard of a private banker.

2 Likes

Their fancy firewall doesn’t matter at all because there’s so much else that is far more than just incriminating that trump has done himself in public. One juicy one was bragging that th next G-7 was gonna be at his Doral golf resort in Florida. Not that he wouldn’t be raking in shit loads of cash from foreigners and heads of state in direct contravention of the emoluments clause. This was done in public on video. No investigation would be needed. Then there’s a dozen cases of obstruction of justice with corrupt intent contained in the Mueller report. Each one by itself rates as an individual article of impeachment and for each of them there is solid evidence. So it isn’t like there’s any lack of criminality here.
If I spent an hour I could form a list of at least 20 solid articles of Impeachment and I don’t have access to what Schiff knows.

11 Likes

I suspect that none of us TPM’ers are billionaires.

9 Likes

Trump’s two year ‘witch hunt’ and ‘hoax’ campaign minimized and negated the Russian interference in our election to the point where at least half the people in the country don’t think that Russia interfered in the election.

His continual denials for two years is obstruction of justice itself.

7 Likes

Ok, a criminal commits an obvious crime…direct witnesses refuse to corroborate the evidence…criminal skates…white collar crime triumphs again…all the rest of us saps better toe the line or else. American justice…beacon to the world.

4 Likes

One big like for your “skullbuggery” portmanteau.

5 Likes

investigators could not penetrate one key inner circle

Those within the cult are not protecting my rights. Quite the opposite.

Try waterboarding. Donald is cool with torture.

2 Likes

I had a friend who worked for the Financial Times, but sometimes wrote spec articles for other magazines. When he was living in Milan, The Banker magazine commissioned him to do profiles on three Swiss banks. One of the banks, which had over ten billions dollars in assets under management, was just one floor of an office building in Lugano, I believe. He went in and it was just like an office and he thought he had gone to the wrong place. But the person he was supposed to interview was there. So “How many customers do you have?” “We have 11, and we are definitely not looking for more.”

16 Likes

(Bowing) Thankyou. It makes more sense to me than skulldudgery.

1 Like

You rang?

billbarr

5 Likes

The very definition of obstruction. And forming an association to deny evidence to investigators comes pretty freaking close to behavior confirming guilt.

3 Likes

Even as dozens of government officials dished publicly on President Trump’s campaign to extort Ukraine, …

“Dished”?

We’re in the greatest crisis facing the country with one party trying to uphold Rule of Law and the other party All In to betray the country for Power.

Please avoid the gossip tabloid phrasing. SMH.

@josh_kovensky, @matt_shuham

3 Likes

Apparently the motivation is stronger to avoid directly implicating oneself under oath as an accessory to bribery and extortion, to kill one’s political career, and to incur the wrath of an unknown number of irrational and potentially homicidal Trump supporters than to avoid maybe placing oneself at risk of being held in criminal contempt of Congress.

2 Likes

Was thinking the exact same thing.

There are enough Chicken Littles among the commentariat here, I don’t need for the reporters (or the headline copywriters) to pile on as well. Nixon had a tight little firewall around him at one point and look how that ended. Dozens of convictions, most of his inner circle in jail.

1 Like

True, but Nixon didn’t have Fox News, Facebook, Twitter, Russian bots and whatever kompromat that Putin has on all these fuckers.

2 Likes

You left out Devin Nunes.

It’s simple: If I had an account at a bank that was in the news, I’d close it.

Anyway, I’m reminded of another true story …

Decades ago, in a court in Hongkong, a man was asked to state his place of residence. “Sham Shui Po district,” he said, adding "Lai Chi Kok Road, Lai Kwai’s building, east-side staircase entrance. I live on the third step.”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available