Indiana Court Gives Win To Group Arguing Religious Freedom Grants Them Right To Abortion - TPM – Talking Points Memo

I get where the folks are coming from in this case, but the whole idea of “it’s my religion so it’s okay” seems like an icy slope.

3 Likes

Only “certain religions”?

3 Likes

We are members of The Present Day Church of Trump which calls for the crucifixion of our leader.
If we do are we protected by our religious freedoms? :laughing:

9 Likes

@19 and @tiger

I think it’s more of a reductio ad absurdum argument; and as such I love it.

6 Likes

Maybe so

Can’t argue with that. Afterall, it was the Christians who established precedence* on the topic.

(* Actually, they didn’t; the concept of sacrificial deities way predates Christianity.) Jesus was just the dreamiest sacrificial deity. (h/t to Gilda Radner & Lariane Newman)

3 Likes

Coming out of Indiana makes this even more interesting

16 Likes

In MO pregnant women can’t divorce their husbands. Or their husbands can’t divorce them if they’re pregnant. This sets up a dangerous situation if the husband is abusive.

15 Likes

I remember that sketch! It was fantastic!

3 Likes

If Truth Social was a like a Elon rocket ship wouldn’t it have tanked on the first day?

1 Like

Yes, however, the current SCOTUS has put us here with their transparent favoritism of “sincerely held beliefs” by right wing Christians (but not, say, Muslims on death row who want an imam and not a southern Baptist by their side when the state kills them).

To continue your metaphor- SCOTUS has loaded us on the toboggan and pushed off. At this point the only way out is through. Perhaps we can get back to a better understanding of the first amendment by seeing the folly of this SCOTUS’ approach through to the bitter end

11 Likes

fuckers.

8 Likes

They will simply use legalise to issue a ruling that the States right to regulate abortion overides an individuals right to practice their religion by getting access to abortion services. Or to use the short (fascist) version: We decide who is or is not legitimately exercising religious liberty.

28 Likes

Now, now, the fundamentalist asshats have made up their minds. You’ll only confuse them with facts.

1 Like

Since anywhere from 40% to 70% of fertilized eggs fail to implant, that “god” is the the world’s biggest abortion provider.

8 Likes

And the spermatozoon, it takes like a gazzilion Spermatozoa to fertilize just one egg. God must REALLY hate Spermatozoon. Who, in God’s name will stand up for the Sperm?

5 Likes

Satanists to file in Indiana in 1, 2, 3…

I may be joining the Satanic Temple myself. I am sure they would have some tasteful merch.

5 Likes

This is why we need a Theocracy. A patriarchal fundamentalist Theocracy interpreted by an elite few who claim they’ve been chosen by the one true God.

The question is: which one?

Not enough sharpie

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available