In Bitter Final Days Of NYC Mayoral Race, Ranked Choice Campaigning Came Under Attack

In this case, though, it gives Adams the opening to say the election was stolen, and to make hell for the winner if it isn’t him.

That other political party doesn’t seem to need facts on which to base such assertions.

1 Like

I don’t think new yorkers will give that one any traction. But he hasn’t lost, yet.

I’ll reserve comment on RCV until after everything is counted.

Adams has the dominant share of Black voters and that’s why he’s ahead and is a slight favorite. That would be the case under any model of voting.

That said, Adams has had trouble expanding his base and is a high floor, low ceiling candidate who may lose because of RCV.

When matched up with Garcia as the #2, the race is a tie. When matched up with Yang or Wiley, Adams wins easily.

If Adams’ margin on the first ballot is anything less than 8 points and Garcia is emerging as the #2 on the first ballot, then I think this race will shift to her because of RCV.

Among the candidates, I think Garcia would make the best Mayor. I also liked McGuire and Stringer. I don’t think Adams will be a good Mayor. Every time I hear him speak, it sounds like he’s running for Police Commish. I’m not sure he understands the job he’s running for. Yang is Yang. Wiley is too much of a Berner and lacks experience. Stringer is too damaged and McGuire can’t get no love.

2 Likes

Ranked-choice voting has been working successfully for years in Ireland. Jad Abumrad and the team at @RadioLab did an excellent job. Take a listen!

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of the concept of ranked-choice voting. The process described here sounds like the same description I’ve ever read about how it works.
My question is about “the tallying may take weeks”. Because of ranked-choice voting? In the age of computers, why?

5 Likes

I’m guessing it’s a combination of factors: first time NYC has done this, no real pressure to get a quick result, desire to get it right, likely a close race with an unusual number of spoiled ballots, and (I assume) a mix of voting/scanning machines some of which will require manual counting of ballots if runoff rounds occur. Also, it’s NYC with a population bigger than the 15 smallest pipsqueak states combined, so they will take their time.

2 Likes

Thanks. Get all that, but all those seem related to counting a lot of votes, not ranked-choice voting per se. I think it was misleading to make sound like ranked-choice is causing the long tallying, if it’s not the cause. One of the benefits of ranked-choice is actual runoffs are avoided.

2 Likes

My point (among others) is that the existing machines may not be capable of doing RC vote tallying, the personnel have never done this before, and the voters will have made lots of mistakes (spoiled ballots), some of which mistakes can be manually rectified.

2 Likes

Polls close at 9pm. They say they won’t be done counting absentee ballots until July 6th. There are 13 candidates on the mayoral ballot. Just saying, this bodes well.

1 Like

It’s not the tallying, it’s calculating how many of which rank-order ballots need to be printed up and filled out to ensure the “right” person wins.

It’s not a Fulton County thing where they could just print up 18k Biden ballots and call it a day, here you have to figure out how much your person is losing by, which other candidate needs to now have your person as a second choice, but not too many votes added or that person won’t be last in line, so you may never get those votes…

1 Like

Adams was my #1 until his Yang and Garcia are trying to keep a POC out of the Mayor’s office. I guess Asians and women – who have never been Mayor either – don’t count? Then the closer I looked the more I knew not him. He is also a Charter School advocate and the person running his PAC is or was connected to Success Academy. He got nothing from me when I voted.

2 Likes

When I voted today the person checking me in sat there and explained the whole thing to me. I said no I understand you don’t need to do this but she insisted saying there were a lot of spoiled ballots that people had to redo. I guess the scanner kicked it out if you really messed up. Husband said the couple in front of him in line took forever to check in because the guy was totally confused by the whole ranked choice voting thing. He also signed the Ipad check in like you do in the grocery store with a scribble. The check in guy said you have to make an attempt to sign it normally and they had to start all over again. BTW…turnout is going to be awful. No lines anywhere.

1 Like

Right, and that’s how the system’s generally supposed to work. They still need to get over 50% to win, so ‘giving the advantage’ doesn’t really help, as it just goes to ‘next round, who else gets dropped?’ unless someone wins.

1 Like

Since they’re not planning on reporting the absentee results until july 6th, I will assume the bulk of the voting was absentee,

I think it’s mainly because of the absentee ballots.

This year, more than 220,000 voters asked for absentee ballots. As of Monday, more than 82,000 had been returned.

1 Like

I should try to be charitable but I’m inclined to think anyone confused by it shouldn’t be voting.
Looked pretty cut and dried to me.
Five columns for each candidate and you filled in your vote in the column where you ranked them and it had the number right there at the top of each column.

I’m a little surprised that TPM didn’t include Maya Wiley’s statement from yesterday in this article.

Wiley’s a class act, progressive, and smart as a whip. She’s also my daughter’s first choice! I don’t know who my daughter ranked for her 2nd through 5th choices. The only thing I know for sure is that she definitely didn’t include Yang. She despises him, doesn’t trust him, and doesn’t want him anywhere near the mayor’s office.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand that either. Ranked choice voting happens elsewhere in the US. It doesn’t take weeks to tally. What is going on here?

1 Like

Like rent control ranked choice sounds good but more often has the opposite of the intended effect.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available