In Bitter Final Days Of NYC Mayoral Race, Ranked Choice Campaigning Came Under Attack

Tell that to several millions New Yorkers who wouldn’t be able to live anywhere near NYC without it. And most of them are the sorts of people who actually make NYC so special. The free market is basically economic fascism.

My top pick was Garcia, Wiley my second. It was political experience over policy platform, and I’m actually impressed with Garcia’s record and platform. Green everything, parks, bike paths, community gardens, clean streets, composting. A greener NY is a better NY. Adams seemed too conservative and Yang too corporate, and Wiley doesn’t seem the best operative fit.

1 Like

30% DOE returns in, no absentees until July:

Adams 28%
Garcia 24%
Wiley 21%
Yang 12% (ouch)
Stringer 6%

1 Like

65% DOE returns in, no absentees until July:

Adams 31%
Wiley 21%
Garcia 21%
Yang 12%
Stringer 5%

1 Like
Eric Adams 168,010 31.0%
Maya Wiley 115,715 21.4
Kathryn Garcia 111,379 20.6
Andrew Yang 63,093 11.7
Scott Stringer 28,864 5.3

I’m glad.

1 Like

Garcia is leading the pack in Manhattan.

Adams leads in the other four boroughs.

Wiley is second in every borough except Staten Island, where she is forth behind Adams, Garcia, and Yang.

1 Like

“Sniff” - Your cynicism is an inspiration to us all! :laughing:

2 Likes

Cynicism? Sheesh, just talking about my job.

Paper cuts ain’t no joke, and after a few thousand ballots, you’re bound to get a few.

1 Like

Your baby does sound smart. He lost me when his whole thing at the debates was that a thousand bucks a month would solve everything on the planet.

Making a few million dollars doesn’t make you a genius.

1 Like

In other New York news, looks like the old guard hasn’t learned their lesson.

Mr. Brown, 62, did not campaign vigorously, according to his opponents, and he refused to debate Ms. Walton. He has appeared regularly with Mr. Cuomo at the governor’s news conferences in Western New York to promote the state’s economic reopening.

1 Like

Alrighty then

So how does this work for the general, top 2 or 3 or X candidates on the ballot, and is there anyone who could beat Adams by getting lots of the other candidates’ votes? If most also-ran voters and enough Wiley/Garcia voters vote for the other candidate, Wiley or Garcia beats Adams. Of course many non-Adams voters will now go for Adams. Are there numbers on how the ranked choice rankings went for 2nd to 5th place and how that might predict the final outcome?

A certain orange-haired former peeResident would disagree.

1 Like

If most also-ran voters and enough Wiley/Garcia voters vote for the other candidate, Wiley or Garcia beats Adams. Of course many non-Adams voters will now go for Adams.

Really depends how many Wiley and Garcia first-choice voters voted for Adams and in what spot I think.
Even if all the Yang voters voted for Adams in the second slot he still wouldn’t have 50%.
Also need to keep in mind that it’s not a case of “will now go” but of “did go” since there is not a re-vote.
From the NYT.

Indeed, many voters ranked Ms. Wiley and Ms. Garcia in the first two spots on their ballots, and it is possible that one of them could capture many of the other’s supporters. They are both vying to be the city’s first female mayor, and that was a central message of their campaigns.

1 Like

My brother who lives in the Bronx, is a white male, highly educated and supports Ms. Ocasio voted for Adams. So I guess the so called “progressive” endorsement had no effect on him. That’s my only polling data.

One word to explain Adams’ votes: Crime. Despite relatively modest but noticeable spikes in violent crime during the past year, it’s probably the biggest issue on peoples’ minds here. Where I live it’s a non-issue, but in many places it is. Here parking, crumbling streets, noise, schools and parks are the biggest issues. But NYC is MASSIVE.

1 Like

Per 538, it is highly likely Adams will win, when results are announced sometime around July 12th. In something like 380 of 395 ranked choice contests, the first ballot plurality winner eventually won, and there just aren’t enough absentee ballots extant to close the 10 or 12 point gap. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-we-know-about-new-yorks-mayoral-primary-results-so-far/

But what does that mean for the general? If he wins the primary, is he the only Dem on the ballot? If so, then ranked choice just ended up splitting the progressive vote, and should be gotten rid of. Reminds me of when I lived in Seattle, where indecisiveness and the desire to be overly inclusive of all views and considerate to all led to political gridlock and nothing getting done. I understand that they’re still debating how to extend a popular bike trail after 15 years of debate.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available