‘I Wasn’t Going To Go On There And Have A Normal Discussion’: How A Prankster Trolled Newsmax On Air

Newsmax host Rob Finnerty found himself getting bamboozled on live television on Monday morning by his own guest, former Obama speechwriter David Litt, who used the interview as an opportunity to call out the conservative media outlet for fueling Trumpland’s deranged conspiracy theories about the 2020 election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1373363
1 Like

This sort of thing needs to happen a lot more often.

65 Likes

AND that aint no LIE!

17 Likes

My question is do Newsmax viewers really care if they are being lied to or are they only watching because they are being lied to?

That is are they watching because Newsmax conforms presents them, even though false, the reality they want or do they really believe what they hear? I think in most cases, for most viewers of Right Wing media, it is the former.

11 Likes

I regret that I’ll only have one interview to give on Newsmax in service for my country.

25 Likes

The traditional “seven second delay” apparently isn’t long enough for the reptilian hindbrains of the thought police censors to get past the “wait, whut did he say” phase.

11 Likes

Lin Wood has it on very good authority that David Litt is soon going to prison.

Just an FYI.

3 Likes

If he doesn’t watch the show anymore, how does he know that it’s not funny, and how does he know so much about Elon Musk’s performance?

FAKE VIEWS

16 Likes

“She said ‘Well, is there a reason no one else does this?’” Litt recounted. “And I was like ‘That’s a very good question.”

It sounds like he didn’t get drawn in, but there is a reason no one else does this. Bill Nye ended up giving Ken Ham an opportunity to fundraise and claim some legitimacy by agreeing to debate him over evolution. If you are going on there and trying to engage them on the level, you risk lending them your own credibility to try to legitimate themselves with a broader audience. “This serious person took me seriously, so you should too!”

Litt clearly made a plan to avoid that pitfall and make a point that Newsmax didn’t want to have made. I’m sure Litt is devastated by all the interviews with FOX and Newsmax he’s not getting called back to.

27 Likes

Crushed, no doubt.
:champagne: :partying_face:

9 Likes

I saw this yesterday and thought, “that’s funny. How did they let him on the air? Did anyone check his resume?”

7 Likes

I don’t watch Saturday Night Live, I don’t find it that funny anymore.

…now Newsmax

3 Likes

That confused me, too. While saying several times he didn’t watch it, the host went into some detail about Musk’s various parts during the show.

I watched it on Saturday and, to my chagrin, thought Elon did pretty well as an actor for a nominal non-actor, meaning that I think he plays various parts in real life. On the show, I thought he was better than some of the actual SNL actors over the years or at particular times in their careers.

3 Likes

I love it! We need a lot more of this sort of thing.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how they made their decision, but these organizations are always on the look out for an “Alan Colmes” they can point to and say, “Hey, we aren’t politically biased! See we have our own effete, token liberal on air to say goofy things that are goofy. So we are too a legitimate and balanced news source!”

8 Likes

Not sure how Litt can be considered a prankster, but maybe I misunderstand the term. Doesn’t prankster imply that he passed himself off as someone else to get on the air and/or used his time to be goofy? Going slightly off topic doesn’t sound like pranking, especially when he explicitly intended to inform the audience rather than just get as far into the interview as he could.

6 Likes

More like this, please. Ridicule can be a wonderful weapon.

14 Likes

It was also odd that he used Musk’s Asperger’s as a throwaway line.

3 Likes

"Pass the nutcracker, sweet!"

1 Like

Going off topic is what every politician does in every interview in response to every question they don’t want to answer.

20 Likes