How The House Made An Impeachment Procedures Debate Also About The Substance | Talking Points Memo

Roberts engaging in some both siderisms on the first day. Not a very good start for him.

11 Likes

They sent a dozen to the EPA to deconstruct protections. Maybe their marketing slogan is “cheaper by the dozen.” And there was that defanging of FERC. Busy bees (or whatever the expression is after bees go extinct).

3 Likes

This EXACTLY.

3 Likes

Tierney Sneed has been knocking it out of the ballpark since she first started working here. By far my favorite TPM reporter of all time.

And TPM has a pretty impressive list of past alum, too. So that isn’t faint praise.

14 Likes

Amen to that! TPM the work you do so so freakin important, and you do it so well. To see a way to do real substantive journalism in the midst of rapidly changing and worsening industry circumstances, and to make it happen and see it through, that is so commendable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

16 Likes

I think they nailed it on Mourning Joe
They are all in the Faux Bubble and that is the foolishness they bring to the table
They have lost their concept of reality

4 Likes

Maybe…but I still think the House has probably made a fatal mistake by rushing through the impeachment hearings.

At the very least, there was serious merit in pushing the Courts to decide on subpoenas and demands for documents. This was always going to be a tough case (not just because republicans decided 4 years ago they would never impeach), because there was literally no underlying DoJ criminal investigation. Even having the likes of Pompeo and Mulvaney pleading “executive privilege” to every question, including the one to state their names, would have been far more damning than going into the Senate with nothing from them.

But it was it is at this point… I just keep getting hit with “this is not the correct forum to push for witnesses and documentary evidence. The House, where we controlled the narrative and the process, was”

I am so glad Susan Collins got to clutch her pearls and play the concerned moderate.
It won’t work lady. You’re going down in November.

10 Likes

Schiff did return them, after he shook out Cipollone’s balls.

5 Likes

The House Dems may be planning another round of impeachment hearings and what is happening in the Senate will give them justification for issuing subpoenas to WH staffers. Run this batch through the courts and force them to testify, even if it takes till next Fall.

9 Likes

There is no after after the bee and insect apocolypse.

5 Likes

It was a clear political win for the Dems, lopsided actually. GOP can acquit Trump w/brute force politics, but the GOP saw that it won’t be cost free. There was worry on their faces even as they stuck with McConnell. That’s good for Team Blue.

18 Likes

My take from yesterday’s theatrics was the House managers were organized and knew whst they were about as did Schumer. The trump folk came off as table pounding goobers. And unless the goobers are hiding serious proof… and are gonna do a “big reveal” that will shock everybody … they got nuthin’. The cockroach in the ointment is McConnell and his patron who are engineering a travesty of a trial. Evidence (maybe) and any testimony ordinarily forms the basis of a trial and doesn’t show up during sentencing 6 months later where it becomes useless. Even us non-lawyers know this. I hope a whole bunch of people watched this. It is only our Republic that is at stake here.

11 Likes

Well, then maybe the EPA should do something. We’ve lost 95% of the wild honeybee population in California, and some other types of bees have vanished. We don’t hear much from the EPA on the matter these days. One thing that has cropped up is a cottage industry of producing bogus commentary for owners of capital. One of the famous trash-talkers of the damage neonicotinoid pesticides have done to US bee populations is the FDA’s Henry Miller. He was eventually caught.

1 Like

Fuck yeah. “If what you’re saying is true, especially in October, I love it.”

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time.

Gosh, you’re up early. Do you people ever sleep? Amazing after such a long night. Saw you here late and here this morning so early. Impressive. Personally, I feel like death warmed over right now.

Now back to the article…

Excellent synopsis. And Susan Collins is still a fraud. That is all until the coffee kicks in.

3 Likes

I love that Schiff worked in that reference to the old “Justice delayed is Justice denied” standard. Kicking things down the road seems to have become the common way of dealing with inconveniences from nuclear power to health care to sustainable society.

6 Likes

You don’t have a heart. You’re a robot.

4 Likes

I was glad Nadler explicitly called the President’s lawyers liars, but Roberts was justified in correcting him for doing so on the Senate floor. There needs to be one place where politesse, however hypocritical, is maintained in order to preserve a mutually accepted forum for debate and legislation. Nadler stepped over the line. Cippilone’s response was heated, but I’m not sure he crossed the “gentleman’s” code quite so overtly (I mostly tuned him out, so unsure what he said beyond “shame on you”.) At least Roberts made a point of admonishing both sides equally.

Contrast Nadler’s “lying” with Schiff’s “mistaken” earlier in the day. Schiff clearly was calling them liars, but without scaring the horses.

2 Likes