House Votes To Decriminalize Marijuana But Measure Has No Chance In Senate | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Democratic-controlled House on Friday approved a bill to decriminalize and tax marijuana at the federal level. The bill would reverse what supporters called a failed policy of criminalization of pot use and take steps to address racial disparities in enforcement of federal drug laws.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1347650

It’s outrageous that the Senate would be obstructionists on this when the national need for marijuana has never been more dire.

23 Likes

Republicans policy, outdated, what a shock.

7 Likes

" But Measure Has No Chance In Senate"

That should be a banner hung in the Senate chambers as long as McConnell is leader.

13 Likes

Measure Has No Chance In Senate

No doubt a headline we’ll see a few thousand times in the next few years.

12 Likes

you would think that a handful of libertarian leaning Republicans would be pretty easy to get onboard. I’d think Rand Paul would co-sponsor. I guess I shouldn’t assume every red state Democrat would sign up, but I really don’t think many people care about this any longer.

I’m guessing the banking lobby would sign up.

5 Likes

Keep doing this. Legalization is the right policy, it is overwhelmingly popular, and it turns out voters.

20 Likes

Democrats are terrible about making wedge issues out of things like this.

2 Likes

There’s nothing I’ve read in the past year that made me smile as much as this article did:

11 Likes

Here’s the roll call: https://clerk.house.gov/evs/2020/roll231.xml

Ed Case (HI-1), Jared Golden (ME-2), and Conor Lamb (PA-17) were the three Dems who voted Nay.

6 Likes

16 Likes

And bless you for that. hahahahahahahahaha

They’ve done it once, they can do it again when we have a senate that might cooperate. In the meantime this is one big signal flag to the authorities that says Why Bother?

8 Likes

The GOP Senate doesn’t want to be bothered during their three martini lunches and then have to deal with wacky tabacky…

8 Likes
6 Likes

Not one from Texas - well hallelujah!

10 Likes

Thought for sure that Henry Cuellar would be a Nay, but he got something right for a change.

9 Likes

Look – it’s simple: If you decriminalize, it might lead to people listening to jazz.

(“Or dancing with Negroes!”)

23 Likes

Well, how the hell else are you gonna put brown folk in jail without a pretext? Jeez, you people…

/s

8 Likes

Hahaha that’s funny nobody will listen to jazz ever again.

And I say that as a huge fan.

:frowning_face:

4 Likes

In the House, the three Democrats who voted against were from Hawaii, Maine, and Pennsylvania. Amash from Michigan also voted no!

2 Likes