Hold Everything! Flynn’s Case Not Over Just Yet | Talking Points Memo

The fight over whether a federal judge can scrutinize the Justice Department’s reasons for wanting Michael Flynn’s case dismissed will continue — at least temporarily.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319853
1 Like

Wow, just in time to send Fat Nixon totally off the rails for the weekend.

50 Likes

In its order Friday, the D.C. Circuit told Flynn to file within 10 days his response to Sullivan’s request that the full appeals court get involved. The D.C. Circuit also invited the Justice Department to weigh in within that time period.

Yay, a 3-way shitshow. Now, if as expected, the en banc court reverses Rao’s writ of looniness, and Flynn then appeals that decision to the supreme court, can Flynn’s sentencing proceed in the interim? The supremes will be on summer vacation until October, and are not known for quick turnaround times.

57 Likes

“It represents the uncomfortable position the judiciary has found itself in as the Justice Department, under Attorney General Bill Barr…”

I can’t imagine a more “uncomfortable position” than “under Attorney General Bill Barr”.

(Screams internally at mental image)

84 Likes

WH: “The President is ecstatic over the win”

Rod Serling: “Really?”

20 Likes

I know, I know, he’s getting wingnut welfare, but I have this mental image of him mortgaging his house, running up his credit cards, selling his wife (a la Roger Stone) to pay for this BS. That’s before his pension is cancelled because he’s A FUCKING TRAITOR!

18 Likes

So - a hearing about the hearing is about to happen?

My brain hurts.

15 Likes

I think it takes a majority of the en banc court to order a response to a petition for en banc review. Dems hold a 7-5 majority of the en banc seat at the D.C. Circuit. Do your own math to figure out what’s going to happen here.

14 Likes

I bet Melania would like to chime in on that…

28 Likes

Is that a bagpipe pipe or are just happy to see me?

11 Likes

At this rate, Trump may end up in prison before Flynn. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

43 Likes

One sweet aspect of this is that the conservatives on SCOTUS will have to dread dealing with this. It’s one of the downsides of enabling a criminal–the criminal commits crimes that you then have to deal with in some way.
Another sweet aspect of this is that it drags out Flynn’s limbo. Good. He needs to sweat.

24 Likes

No surprise, the full circuit was going to jump on this as soon as they were asked. I really don’t see how they uphold Rao’s opinion, that thing should have been trashed, and probably would have if she was a law student instead of a judge. Hopefully the 11th pays more attention to what Gleeson wrote, which actually took the law into account, and allow Sullivan to go forward with jailing Flynn. I’m sure there will be an SC appeal, but that may not be good for Flynn, as that will not be sorted out until after Trump leaves office in January, and Biden won’t give him a pardon or stop the case.

There’s going to be so much leftover garbage from the Trump administration like this case that it will take years to sort everything out. Democrats really need to hold the government for a decade, at least, to fix all of this and get the nation back on track.

46 Likes

I don’t think he’s sweating. He wants this to drag out until November, when pardon season opens. All this shitflinging legal lunacy has had the goal to kick the can past the eleciton, and it may have worked (thus my question above). Once he’s pardoned the case becomes moot and the supremes, in their infinite absense of haste, don’t have to deal with it.

14 Likes

Sweet. It got in before the Friday news dump too.

9 Likes

Somewhere there’s a Barr stool joke in there…

23 Likes

So you are just now hearing about a hearing that’s about the hearing that is about to happen?

13 Likes

Refresher:

Flynn was conducting personal biz 11 minutes into Trump’s inauguration carnage speech - nuclear project was “good to go” which would require lifting Russian sanctions!

https://www.newsweek.com/flynn-russia-middle-east-nuclear-trump-mueller-congress-cummings-gowdy-740136

So he’ll ya…Flynn’s case should NOT be over!
Next to Trump, Flynn is one BIGLY GREEDY TRAITOR!

P.S. Someone please tell Neomi Rao that Trump is NOT a king!

Addendum:

Per MSNBC All in with Chris Hayes…Trump is commuting Roger Stone’s sentence.

So if Flynn’s case will NOT get dismissed by the en banc panel, will Trump pardon or commute his sentence too?

15 Likes

A little louder, I can’t hear you.

21 Likes

At least he’ll have to sweat until November. They want to make it go away now.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available