GOP Rep. Says Trump Asking Ukraine To Investigate Biden Was ‘Inappropriate’ | Talking Points Memo

Ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee Mac Thornberry (R-TX) said on Sunday that it was “inappropriate” for President Donald Trump to ask the Ukrainian president to investigate 2020 candidate Joe Biden during their phone call.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1261298

“I believe it’s inappropriate for a president to ask a foreign leader to investigate a political rival” …

“There’s not really anything the President said in that phone call that’s different from what he says in public all the time … So, is there some sort of abuse of power that rises to that threshold that is different than the American people have been hearing for three years? I don’t hear that.”

In other words, Republicans did not impeach him for this behavior so why should anyone else?

25 Likes

“there’s not anything that the President said in that phone call that’s different than he says in public all the time.”

Oh that’s OK then.

19 Likes

Trump is too corrupt to impeach! It has come to this.

30 Likes

You can’t impeach a guy who’s always doing impeachable things, I mean, come on! He’s the charming rogue of constant power abuse! That’s just, you know, good old Trumpie!

38 Likes

Why don’t the media ever ask follow up questions on statements like the one Thornberry gave? The follow up is obvious: “if a president blackmailing a foreign country to dig up dirt on a political opponent isn’t impeachable, what is?”

This is GOP end game folks, and it needs to be shown as a tactic making the impeachment clause of the Constitution totally meaningless if Trump isn’t removed from office.

31 Likes

The Tom Sawyer of Captain Jack Sparrows.

11 Likes

I believe it was John Mitchell, Richard Shit Nixon’s first AG who said, " Watch what we DO, not what we SAY"

8 Likes

Yeah, I mean, he shot that guy to death on 5th Avenue and will shoot again and soon. But hey, you didn’t impeach him before so why do so when he kills again?

Makes perfect sense to me…NOT!

10 Likes

I imagine if those alleged “The Apprentice” tapes where Trump makes racists slurs ever comes out, the same defense will be in play.
“C’mon, he calls those people that all the time”.

6 Likes

“Inappropriate”. Wow, profile in courage.

12 Likes

Sadly, I think we’re well past the point that could make any difference. Everyone will say things they’ve already said many times before, and eventually the hubbub would die down. I do think proof of decades of money laundering in the tens of millions might be an embarrassment. And that could break any day.

20 Likes

“…the bizarre argument that the public has gotten used to Trump publicly making the kind of comments heard in his call with Ukraine.”

“Look, by the time John Wayne Gacy strangled that 32nd kid, what difference did number 33 make?!”

30 Likes

It was Mitchell, you’re right – but he was telling the press not to take too seriously the “Southern Strategy” rhetoric they had used during the '68 campaign (that had just ended).

7 Likes

If there was only something like a set of rules, laws even, written down somewhere. Maybe by our founding fathers, that could help adjudicate this. You know, that thing Thornberry took an Oath to preserve and defend.

19 Likes

I’m trying to see if one of em was asked that. No promises though, my stomach is growling.

5 Likes

Kind of like the Trumpholes claiming that ‘this stuff isn’t impeachable cause he says this shit ALL the time?’

7 Likes

@demosthenes59

People everywhere should pay close attention to the logic of your post.

If Trump is not impeached and removed he will have accomplished the Destruction of this Republic as we know it.

I now believe the GOP is counting more on us not seeing this through than anything else.

This Mook is actually saying to us:

“Nice little nation you suckers have…shame when something that we want to happen to it WILL happen

I can’t think of any other way to say, “The GOP wants to destroy this country as we know it”

18 Likes

More than inappropriate, it is illegal for anyone in government to ask a foreign entity to get involved in our elections

10 Likes

Sort of, maybe.

Mitchell’s point (in early '69) was that Nixon would not act against civil rights as much as his campaign might have suggested he would.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available