FL Teens Now Have Higher COVID Positivity Rate Than Other Age Groups In The State Amid DeSantis’ Mask War

Nor I, thus my comment just above yours. I suspect that it’s pure reactionary politics, in the literal sense of the word. Whatever “libs”, whether actual ones or non-batshit Repubs, promote, they reject and promote the opposite. I.e. politics as an extension of reactive infantilism writ yuge. I just can’t fathom how diseased and defective a person has to be to be this way.

13 Likes

They are State employees in Florida - both school board and superintendent. Elected.

6 Likes

Oh pish posh…this is war. End game. Can’t make a white Christian dominionist hegemony omelette without breaking some eggs. If the spinning causes some collateral damage, then so be it…martyrs one and all…

15 Likes

But for every diehard imbecile Trumpie they hold onto, they probably lose some fraction of a non-diehard imbecile Trumpie GOP voter, quite likely enough to make reelection not viable. But the Trump turn of the GOP was always a race to the bottom that would unavoidably lead to political self-destruction and require a turn to open fascism to remain in power.

7 Likes

OT-so she stepped down last week. Who woulda thunk…

24 Likes

DeSantis will get the anti-vaccine vote. The phenomenon of people engaging in cultish hysteria doesn’t explain why someone like DeSantis would harness the momentum of mass stupidity. The anti-science voting bloc must be enormous.

11 Likes

And two others come forward to take its place.

7 Likes

What we don’t know is the long-term consequence of this plan. In addition to tens of thousands of deaths, there will likely be hundreds of thousands with minor-to-major long term disability, including particularly cognitive losses. There are only so many jobs where you don’t need stamina, executive function or mid-term memory.

20 Likes

The longer DeSantis stays this course, the less useful his inevitable mea culpa will be.

And I mean the Republican version of mea culpa, with numerous references to “misquoted”, “out of context”, “fake news”, “Biden’s fault” and “who knew a pandemic could be this complicated?”.

13 Likes

6 Likes

Relevant, but missing - are these kids sick, in the hospital, etc.? Early on, it seemed kids could get COVID but very few got sick or died. Is that true for Delta?

4 Likes

Without Trump voters they have nothing. No goodwill, no reliable base of support.
If they say ‘I’ve been insincere and opportunistic, but it was just a scam’, how many moderates would they win over?

More urgently, if they waver from the true path even a little, even for a moment, Trump will sic his dogs on them. I bet they see doubling down as their only shot.

9 Likes

Yes, and I think early on a lot of the infections were in states run by Democrats. Their thinking might have been, do nothing and let the Democrats and blacks die out.

13 Likes

Except for the fact that most of those people would cut off their right arm rather than vote for a Dem…so the effective change is zero.

8 Likes

I don’t think the school superintendent is elected, but is appointed by the county school board

1 Like

It’s gotten even worse than that. At trump’s latest rally, the crowd booed him when he recommended vaccinations. So he many be able to convince his followers to attack others, but they won’t follow him to do anything that isn’t about attacking.

12 Likes

It’s both!

1 Like

It has nothing to do with the South—and everything to do with asshole Republican efforts to gain electoral advantage at any cost.

14 Likes

We don’t need to worry much about Trump doing an about face and attempting to do the right thing :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

The salaries aren’t much. In Florida, the highest is about $44,000, for Miami-Dade. In the panhandle, they run $25-26,000. Alachua is $38,000.

3 Likes