Five Points On The Wild Allegations Against Texas’ Attorney General From His Top Staff | Talking Points Memo

In what’s been described as a “mutiny,” top deputies of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton signed onto a letter Friday accusing him of everything from “improper influence” to abuse of office, bribery “and other potential criminal offenses.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1336509
1 Like

It really seems that all GOP Texas pols are either crooks or idiots or both…

25 Likes

I have no special knowledge of Ken Paxton, but he really is just deeply and fundamentally crooked.

26 Likes

Man, how crooked do you have to be for seven of your top aides to turn on you? In Texas of all places?

31 Likes

Levels of crookedness that would expose your senior staff to obstruction of justice charges, it seems.

31 Likes

And is operating under the theory that everyone else is just as fundamentally corrupt. It must be such a sad world that these people inhabit who spend all their days convinced that everyone is just looking out for Numero Uno and waiting for the opportunity to cut their neighbor’s legs out from under them.

17 Likes

I am going to guess the calls for Paxton to resign are going to be too much. The Texas R’s don’t need this around their neck for the next weeks going into the election.

Paxton appears to be as crooked as they come and has used every move he could to avoid his securities fraud trial.

Paxton is the lead AG fighting the Affordable Care Act before the Supremes.

I think he is out by Wednesday.

34 Likes

This is an ad from his 2018 opponent showing what an ethical black hole Paxton is. He rummages through the metal object trays at the courthouse security gate looking for things to steal. In this particular day he happened to nab a $1000 pen (who knew?) that some hapless, overpaid lawyer left behind:

29 Likes

A bit o/t, but it’s complete bullshit to address an attorney general as “general.” It does not have the same meaning as a military rank, it refers (I think) to the power to deal with general legal matters for a political jurisdiction. I’m hoping one of my lawyer friends here will jump in to clarify. As for Paxton, he’s a general…crook.

To add: Aha! Wikipedia to the rescue: “The term was originally used to refer to any person who holds a general power of attorney to represent a principal in all matters. In the common law tradition, anyone who represents the state, especially in criminal prosecutions, is such an attorney. Although a government may designate some official as the permanent attorney general, anyone who came to represent the state in the same way could, in the past, be referred to as such, even if only for a particular case.”

22 Likes

Everything’s bigger in Texas.

7 Likes

The vibe I get from the letter is that it’s an indict or be indicted situation. Only one side’s gonna walk away from this one.

18 Likes

8 Likes

It would be lovely, but I think he’s going to have to be dragged out in handcuffs. He needs that office the same way Trump needs to be president: It’s the only thing keeping him out of prison.

40 Likes

Paxton is still facing a 5-year-old indictment

At first I was surprised that’s been held up for 5 years, then I read it was a felony charge, so yeah, 4 of those years being under the Trump administration…makes sense.

10 Likes

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Probably never imagined that he might soon be kicked off the generous state official health care policy!

15 Likes

They’re state charges, not federal. Paxton has been playing all kinds of games trying to recuse his judges, keep his special prosecutors from getting paid, and trying to change venues back and forth.

20 Likes

So is he disliked enough that this actually would damage the GOP in the general election? In some places those kinds of charges would just energize the base. (And I wonder who the appropriate law enforcement officials are, considering that Paxton controls the Texas apparatus, and Barr controls the federal. ICC?)

5 Likes

The Texas GOP is in disarray, folks. It is seriously split and Ken Paxton doesn’t help at all.

I’m loving this.

43 Likes

You mean to tell me a state with one party rule for years is a hotbed for corruption and incompetence? Who could have seen that coming?

26 Likes

Please note that that five-year-old indictment on securities fraud charges is a STATE charge, not Federal as indicated in the article. The feds wouldn’t have let him skate on this indefinitely.

Note also that Paxton, if he survives this latest scandal in office, has a challenger for 2022 – Joe Jaworski, a thoroughly decent guy committed to public service, whose determination that public officials have to be held accountable is a legacy handed down to him from his grandfather, Leon.

24 Likes