Federal Government Executes Man Who Committed Murder When He Was 18 | Talking Points Memo

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP) — The Trump administration Thursday carried out its ninth federal execution of the year in what has been a first series of executions during a presidential lame-duck period in 130 years, putting to death a Texas street-gang member in the slayings of a religious couple from Iowa more than two decades ago.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1348746

Gotta love the pro-life folks.

7 Likes

Well, the family forgave him. At least he’s got that going…

2 Likes

And yet Georgia Bagley needed an execution for “closure”. I don’t know what that word is supposed to mean.

7 Likes

I knew even before I opened up the article that the man Barr had chosen for execution was a Black man. It’s really so awful to instinctively know that and expect this kind of thing from this DoJ. Its fucking barrbaric. I hate what this country has become especially in these last four years.

10 Likes

Nice…

4 Likes

Seems fitting.

2 Likes

Mr. Tarm, please fix this. According to most reports, this man did not kill anyone. He was involved with the robbery but he did not kill the couple.

1 Like

So did I.

4 Likes

That was Brandon Bernard.

Here are some others:

Here is a summary from the BBC (earlier this week):

Five executions are scheduled before President-elect Joe Biden’s 20 January inauguration - breaking with an 130-year-old precedent of pausing executions amid a presidential transition.

And if all five take place, Mr Trump will be the country’s most prolific execution president in more than a century, overseeing the executions of 13 death row inmates since July of this year.

5 Likes

Sadly, she will wake up this morning like most others in this situation and realize that murdering somebody for retribution won’t give her the closure she expected.

7 Likes

Probably reading from a redacted Bible that does not mention the ten big ones.

3 Likes

Let alone all those good ‘Christians’ who seem to think nothing of ‘playing God’…

1 Like

Like a true “conservative”, they’re letting other people pay and cover for their own sins. This administration has literally all but murdered, or manslaughtered, tens if not hundreds of thousands of people, out of political calculation and fear, indifference, incompetence, and corruption. But let’s execute a black man. That will fix everything.

No wonder they all claim to be “Christians”, a religion based on the ridiculous conceit that a single man, who actually committed no serious crime, died so that his followers would be absolved of their own actual sins for the rest of time–and that said man was actual divine and rose from the dead 3 days later. Yeah, that makes it all good!

Sorry to single out one religion. They’re all like this, ultimately, their main purpose being to justify horrible behavior and get the masses in line. But the vast majority of these people happen to be “Christians”.

1 Like

Before I opened this story, somehow I knew that the executed man would not be a 74 year-old, evil, fat, sadistic, rich man with a triple comb-over.

9 Likes

Forgiveness makes room for redemption, itself a form of closure, and eschews all desire for vengeance, a false veneer of closure that ultimately hollows all who seek and obtain it. Nothing of this speaks to the former, while everything about it screams the latter.

5 Likes

Wait, Sheldon Adelson is 74? Rupert Murdoch is fat? Rush Limbaugh is nearly bald?

3 Likes

We know that there won’t be infrastructure week so Trump in his bloodthirsty manner goes for execution weeks.
What’s interesting is the states that don’t have the death penalty tend to have lower rates of homicide. Some states like Michigan have never bothered with it or banned it as far back as the 1800’s. Of course it’s the southern states of the old confederacy that still have it.

2 Likes

the is something enormously perverse when an execution is fought for with such fierce determination like it is some sort of “prize” or “trophy” … and once “won” … then savagely defended like it is a possession about to be taken away … even grasping for procedural technicalities - in order to be able to carry out the termination of the life…
especially in a case like this - where the convicted individual was not the trigger man, was just months into being a legal adult at the time … is now 40 years old … and for years now has demonstrated remorse & dedicated himself toward finding ways to give back to society …
this is not justice … it is raw cruel retribution … and since the person who actually held the gun & pulled the trigger cut a deal … well, they had to find some body to Kill to satisfy the Life-for-a-Life thirst …

4 Likes

It must give The Damn Fool a warm fuzzy feeling to withhold his mere word that would commute those five death sentences.