Federal Election Agency, Hungry for Funds, Now Pays for Officials to Get to Office | Talking Points Memo

This story originally appeared at ProPublica, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1237045
1 Like

I’m curious (and the story does not say) who appointed Mr. Newby as executive director. Could it possibly rhyme with “Trump”?

2 Likes

Well, if he’s a newby, he can’t have been there very long.

2 Likes

Commuting to/from your normal place of work is not considered a business expense and reimbursement for same is taxable income. Let’s see if they pay their taxes on this additional income.

4 Likes

I’m sure they aren’t using energy efficient vehicles either… LOL!!!

@brewhousebob, I like your sense of humor, but you’ll never know if they did. Remember, the rules don’t apply to these folks.

2 Likes

So the Republican commissioners are treating this as a no-show job.

6 Likes

That’s pretty much how I’m interpreting this statement:

In its answers to the committee, the EAC said both that it compensated employees with duty stations outside of Washington for travel and that it had spent $0 on such travel in the first half of fiscal year 2019.

3 Likes

Trumpite model of good government: get appointed, collect pay, don’t show up for work, don’t even live in the same city as your job site, demand more money and perks, and don’t tell anyone that you are getting it.

I’m hearing Mark Knoffler’s voice in the background, singing: “You get your money for nothing and your chicks for free . . . “

3 Likes

You know for the longest time I thought it was money for nothing checks for free

2 Likes

You could be right (!). After so many concerts in the 60’s my hearing was shot a long time ago.

2 Likes

…lemme tell ya, them guys ain’t dumb

1 Like

Obama appointee.

1 Like

So being a Christian helps if you want to rip off taxpayers

Ironically, as a Federal Employee, if I started a business trip from home my agency required me to subtract my normal commuting distance from my mileage to the airport for purposes of calculating reimbursement - since I would have driven to work on a normal day.

So-called Christian. Most Republicans worship Ayn Rand, who taught them that patriotism and religion were good ways to manipulate people into giving you wealth and power.

1 Like